HOARDING AND SENTIMENT

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Does anybody else keep old golf clubs?

I have two old favorite sets which I could never bring myself to trade-in, sell, or give away.
I just had too much fun with them.

PowerBilt Citation___persimmon 2-wood
PowerBilt Citation___laminated maple 4-wood
Stan Thompson Ginty___utility wood
Spalding Executive___2-PW
Tiger Shark Triple Crown___sand wedge
Acushnet Bullseye Flange___putter

Titleist Howitzer___12° driver
Titleist PT___17, 20, 23° metals
Mizuno Fli Hi II___18° driving iron
Titleist DCI 962___5-PW
Cleveland 588___53° wedge
Cleveland 691___58° wedge
Ram Zebra___putter

With fresh grips, I'd enjoy taking either set out right now.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My dad's old blades he got when he retired. He didn't play much golf after that so they are in great nick. 3 wooden woods along with them. I got them regripped and take them out for a run the odd time.

A set of titleist 690mb irons. I made my one hole in one with the 9 iron so they are close to my heart.

Nike Pro combo irons. First proper set of irons I fell in love with. Liked them so much I bought a 2nd set of them for some reason.

My first full set of adult irons are out there. Some cheap brand like strator or something. They have been useful for getting a few mates to take up the game.

A number of odds and ends sit out in the shed in old bags. I could get rid of them but why would I.

I donated a pile of clubs a couple of years ago to the club but the rest are staying for now.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Does anybody else keep old golf clubs?

I have two old favorite sets which I could never bring myself to trade-in, sell, or give away.
I just had too much fun with them.

PowerBilt Citation___persimmon 2-wood
PowerBilt Citation___laminated maple 4-wood
Stan Thompson Ginty___utility wood
Spalding Executive___2-PW
Tiger Shark Triple Crown___sand wedge
Acushnet Bullseye Flange___putter

Titleist Howitzer___12° driver
Titleist PT___17, 20, 23° metals
Mizuno Fli Hi II___18° driving iron
Titleist DCI 962___5-PW
Cleveland 588___53° wedge
Cleveland 691___58° wedge

Ram Zebra___putter

With fresh grips, I'd enjoy taking either set out right now.
PowerBilt made some great clubs.
I have 2-SW PowerBilt Oversize.

I have Spalding Topflite Professional 2-SW and an Acushnet Bullseye (not flange) putter

Today I have my Cleveland 691 58° in the bag!

I have a Cleveland 588, but it is 56°.

Playing with Full_throttle and Fragger tomorrow - I'm considering using 1-SW Petron Impala and a Petron Impala putter.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing with Full_throttle and Fragger tomorrow - I'm considering using 1-SW Petron Impala and a Petron Impala putter.

My first ever set and I regretted selling them for some time.

The local pro used to sell them as single clubs and advised only buying 4 clubs to any beginner, you then built up the clubs to a full set as you improved.
Never got to buy the 1 iron.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only have 3 clubs that I have had for years that get an outing every so often

Wilson Invex 7 wood
Ram Tom Watson Troon grind wedge
Slotline inertia CS putter

I do have a set of TM irons with graphite shafts from about 1992 but I am keeping them for when I can no longer swing a steel a shaft (almost there).

4LEX

Visit site
My dad's old blades he got when he retired. He didn't play much golf after that so they are in great nick. 3 wooden woods along with them. I got them regripped and take them out for a run the odd time.

A set of titleist 690mb irons. I made my one hole in one with the 9 iron so they are close to my heart.

Nike Pro combo irons. First proper set of irons I fell in love with. Liked them so much I bought a 2nd set of them for some reason.

My first full set of adult irons are out there. Some cheap brand like strator or something. They have been useful for getting a few mates to take up the game.

A number of odds and ends sit out in the shed in old bags. I could get rid of them but why would I.

I donated a pile of clubs a couple of years ago to the club but the rest are staying for now.

My first ever set of clubs. Totally the wrong clubs of course but it was a great way of learning to hit the middle of the club especially in the bladed scoring ones!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My first ever set of clubs. Totally the wrong clubs of course but it was a great way of learning to hit the middle of the club especially in the bladed scoring ones!

They are small enough heads alright. I never really got on with the long irons. They were quickly replaced by hybrids. My nephew could make the 3 iron sing. I was always jealous of that. Haha
The 6 to pw were absolutely brilliant. The short irons for chipping were beautiful. So soft and easy to control.
I had rifle 5.0 shafts which were regular. Made for a buttery feel on impact.
They got me from 18 down to 9 before I replaced them.
I chipped the 8 iron in the garden yesterday and remembered why I loved them. Amazing clubs.
I did add the gap wedge and possibly sand wedge to the collection but by that stage I'd already moved onto vokeys. Just had to have them. :)

4LEX

Visit site
They are small enough heads alright. I never really got on with the long irons. They were quickly replaced by hybrids. My nephew could make the 3 iron sing. I was always jealous of that. Haha
The 6 to pw were absolutely brilliant. The short irons for chipping were beautiful. So soft and easy to control.
I had rifle 5.0 shafts which were regular. Made for a buttery feel on impact.
They got me from 18 down to 9 before I replaced them.
I chipped the 8 iron in the garden yesterday and remembered why I loved them. Amazing clubs.
I did add the gap wedge and possibly sand wedge to the collection but by that stage I'd already moved onto vokeys. Just had to have them. :)

I changed them for Titleist AP2's after 18 months but a few years after bought a set of mint ones on eBay to compare. My word when I hit them I realised how unforgiving they were on mishits and how bad my ball striking had got :ROFLMAO:

They did have a lovely feel and I miss my all Nike bag. The SV wedges were decent too and the Vapor Pro driver was one of the best feeling drivers ever.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I changed them for Titleist AP2's after 18 months but a few years after bought a set of mint ones on eBay to compare. My word when I hit them I realised how unforgiving they were on mishits and how bad my ball striking had got :ROFLMAO:

They did have a lovely feel and I miss my all Nike bag. The SV wedges were decent too and the Vapor Pro driver was one of the best feeling drivers ever.

I think I went to ap2s as well. 714s. Maybe a few mizuno sets inbetween actually. Haha

Here's the pro combo gap and sand wedges.

Attachments

• IMG-20240608-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20240608-WA0023.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 3

4LEX

Visit site
I think I went to ap2s as well. 714s. Maybe a few mizuno sets inbetween actually. Haha

Here's the pro combo gap and sand wedges.

The AP2's were class weren't they.

I only had 3-PW in the Nikes. Brings back some memories looking at that pic.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've still got a TM V-Steel (original not mk II) 13 degree "tour spoon"....at one time I had about 6 V-Steel fairways from 3+, 3, 5 and 7 woods (multiple heads some shafted some not) but most have been moved on.

Out of sentiment I recently bought a set of Cleveland 900 BRZ wedges totally forgetting that they didnt confom to the 2010 groove rules!!!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The AP2's were class weren't they.

I only had 3-PW in the Nikes. Brings back some memories looking at that pic.

The ap2s I used for years. They are currently on loan to my nephew. He uses them when he comes home from Scotland. They held up well, still look great and as still play grand.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It's funny, as much as I loved those irons, I never really got on to well with the rest of the nike line up.
I had a victory red (if that's what it was called)3 wood, the face caved in on that.
Briefly had a nike driver but it didn't last too long.
I do have a nike putter actually. Considering taking it back out for a spin. Made my most birdies in a round with that. Record stands at 5. Nike mod 90 putter. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Got em out the loft yesterday and here they are ready to go.
Numbered 1 to 10 and SW.
SW is 60° and the 10 is 50°. Then they go back in 4° gaps (9-46°, 8-42° etc) to an 18° 2-iron and then a 15° 1-iron.

Impalas.jpg

Ebay purchase of £25 including postage last year. Did not need new grips. The putter I bought second hand in the 1970s for £5 still has original grip.
Cobra driver and 16° hybrid bought in 2010 for £25 each from my club pro.
An £80 set of 14 clubs.

4LEX

Visit site
It's funny, as much as I loved those irons, I never really got on to well with the rest of the nike line up.
I had a victory red (if that's what it was called)3 wood, the face caved in on that.
Briefly had a nike driver but it didn't last too long.
I do have a nike putter actually. Considering taking it back out for a spin. Made my most birdies in a round with that. Record stands at 5. Nike mod 90 putter. Not everyone's cup of tea.
I had some crazy Nike drivers when I first started playing, part of my OCD in that I had to have every club from the same make. Even had the square drivers which sounded like hitting a marble with a frying pan :ROFLMAO:

I had a Method Core Drone putter at one point, ahead of it's time.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had some crazy Nike drivers when I first started playing, part of my OCD in that I had to have every club from the same make. Even had the square drivers which sounded like hitting a marble with a frying pan :ROFLMAO:

I had a Method Core Drone putter at one point, ahead of it's time.

My brother had the frying pan nike driver and woods. The 3 and 5 wood, whilst being a funny shape were actually quite a nice size. Compact.

My mate still uses the core drone 2.0 putts well with it.

It's a shame they left the market for clubs. Was always fun to see what they would come up with.

4LEX

Visit site
My brother had the frying pan nike driver and woods. The 3 and 5 wood, whilst being a funny shape were actually quite a nice size. Compact.

My mate still uses the core drone 2.0 putts well with it.

It's a shame they left the market for clubs. Was always fun to see what they would come up with.

I used to like the shape but the sound took some getting used to! The feel was awful and felt like you'd caught the toe or heel even when it was middled. I wonder if anyone else will revisit the square shape in the coming years?

The SQ hybrids were fantastic and one of the best I've hit. I think after this chat I'm going to have a look on eBay for some of these :LOL:

It was a shame as they had invested a lot of money into it but I felt they went big too early and paid silly money for player endorsements. I did hear a rumour they were looking at making a comeback but seems unlikely to me.