Hitting irons ?

scouse4313

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all, i'm having a crisis at the mo.

I can hit the ball really well with the driver but when it comes to my iron shots i seem to have lost the feeling. When i start my back swing with the driver i sub consciously tell myself to bring the driver back a good 6 inches straight back before starting to rise and turn. The problem i have is now i seem to have lost all ability to hit my irons ! should i swing the same for my irons as i do for my driver :confused::confused:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes you should swing the same with all clubs from driver to wedge, the only thing that changes is ball and hand position. Sweep the ball with driver and woods but hit down into the back of your irons by having your hands ahead of the ball.

scouse4313

Medal Winner
Visit site
cheers for the reply, i understand the hitting down as i consciously try to make a divot after striking the ball, however should my takeaway be the same as the driver takeaway ?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes the take away is the same for all normal shots. Keep it one piece for the first couple of feet. They say the first few feet are the most important part of the swing.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
cheers for the reply, i understand the hitting down as i consciously try to make a divot after striking the ball, however should my takeaway be the same as the driver takeaway ?

I would say no.
If you have a low wide takeaway, that will promote a low wide downswing. Fine for the driver but not so good for the shorter clubs where you want a steeper approach into the ball.

fireandforget

Visit site
There could be a number of factors from line of takeaway, body rotation on takeaway, weight transfer, initial setup, grip etc.
As Homer already suggested, best to get someone to have a look and tell you rather than guessing and possibly making it worse.