Hitting into the Gallery.. again

birdyhunter

Visit site
So DeChambeau slides one right on the 4th straight into the gallery and turns away in disgust as he picks up his tee. No shout, no arm right, just nonchelance at his bad shot.

How long will it be before someone is seriously hurt, or worse by the lack of signal? I don't care that he's 300 yards away, at least if he does something he's shown some action rather than not giving a tinker's toss, and it would alert the marshalls halfway down the fairway that a ball is heading into the crowd.

I know it's been discussed before but surely something has to be done before another life changing injury.

The Dog.

Visit site
He is an utter, utter clown.

If they don’t shout fore then immediately dock a shot and this pathetic behaviour stops overnight. Two things stop them shouting, disgraceful arrogance and the hope that a spectator cannons it back into the fairway.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If they don’t shout fore then immediately dock a shot and this pathetic behaviour stops overnight. Two things stop them shouting, disgraceful arrogance and the hope that a spectator cannons it back into the fairway.
And, perhaps, the fact that being 300+yds away from where it's likely to land, their shout isn't going to be heard! It's actually likely (and would certainly make sense) that, as well as indicating the direction, the Marshalls on tees standing behind the players - who indicate direction with paddles - are also in radio contact with those down the hole who mark and can warn the crowd. Though we (the TV audience) don't see/hear those comms.

Last edited:

The Dog.

Visit site
And, perhaps, the fact that being 300+yds away from where it's likely to land, their shout isn't going to be heard! It's actually likely (and would certainly make sense) that, as well as indicating the direction, the Marshalls on tees standing behind the players - who indicate direction with paddles - are also in radio contact with those down the hole who mark and can warn the crowd. Though we (the TV audience) don't see/hear those comms.

You’re defending the indefensible. There’s no excuse for this apart from arrogance.

And your argument is absolutely ridiculous. The speed of sound is 767mph or about 400 yards per second. In other words no golfer can outdrive a shout.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Who cares?

Really, just ask yourself that question

The problem in correcting player behaviour is that quite simply... No one really cares

Jeez even the victims of a ball strike only care after they get hit and only then if its a serious injury (anything short of that and they're more pleased to have a 'cool' story, a signed glove and maybe even appear on every highlight clip, like the bloke who caught Rory's ball in his shorts pocket)

So for as much as we want to hear every tour player shout, (it seems) the one serious injury every few years is a more than acceptable casualty rate

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You’re defending the indefensible. There’s no excuse for this apart from arrogance....
I'm not trying to 'defend' it. Players certainly should give a warning whenever they hit an errant shot that could endanger folk. I'm merely suggesting that there MAY already be (better) processes in place - eg radio comms from the markers with the paddles to their colleagues in the landing area as well as the indication of the paddles.
And your argument is absolutely ridiculous. The speed of sound is 767mph or about 400 yards per second. In other words no golfer can outdrive a shout.
You exaggerate somewhat....Try 375 yds/sec! And it's not about whether a golfer can 'outdrive a shout from the Tee' - they can't!
My point was whether, in amongst all the general noise of a US Open, a shout by a player would be heard at all! Having attended a dozen or so Pro tournaments over the years, I'd suggest that many would either not hear it or would (as per my observations) simply ignore/not react to it - and that a 'better' alternative is radio comms between the guys with paddles and the ball locaters - who w/could then warn the crowd in the likely landing area. My observations have been that a shout by someone in the landing area has a much greater effect than one from the tee!

Last edited:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
One of the first things you learn.

Shout fore!
No excuse.

Yes, for us. Our level of play.completely agree. But Foxholer makes valid points. When the situation is different, the solutions have to be different.
Hitting a ball 260 yds in the monthly medal, a shout of fore is going to be heard.
320 yds in a Major.? I would bet not.
What players should do is put their arm out to indicate left or right. So, as well,
With the marshalls using paddles doing the same, that is good indication.
Plus, I should think it a pretty good bet that marshalls down the course are instructed to watch the drives(obviously), particularly the paddle users and thus warn patrons if the ball is coming their way.
This talking point really should be clarified by the authorities.They must know that most patrons consider a non shout as bad form. They could address this and comment as to what actions , if any , are implemented to replace the fore shout.It could be publicised as to whether shouts from the tee can be heard.
Why they don't comment , I don't know.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not trying to 'defend' it. Players certainly should give a warning whenever they hit an errant shot that could endanger folk. I'm merely suggesting that there MAY already be (better) processes in place - eg radio comms from the markers with the paddles to their colleagues in the landing area as well as the indication of the paddles.

You exaggerate somewhat....Try 375 yds/sec! And it's not about whether a golfer can 'outdrive a shout from the Tee' - they can't!
My point was whether, in amongst all the general noise of a US Open, a shout by a player would be heard at all! Having attended a dozen or so Pro tournaments over the years, I'd suggest that many would either not hear it or would (as per my observations) simply ignore/not react to it - and that a 'better' alternative is radio comms between the guys with paddles and the ball locaters - who w/could then warn the crowd in the likely landing area. My observations have been that a shout by someone in the landing area has a much greater effect than one from the tee!
It does have an effect on new golfers and youngsters watching on TV.
They go on the course thinking that’s normal and acceptable behaviour.
But we don’t all have paddled marshals behind us on the tee in our medal!
A token shout is all that’s nessesary then the marshals can sort it out as well.
What about the rare occasion a marshal misses the flight of the ball.

Raking bunkers, repairing pitch marks, replacing divots should be shown and explained why this should be done more on TV to educate the golfers watching

Boomy

Visit site
Why are select people above trying to defend the pros not shouting fore ??‍♂️ It’s common courtesy and should be used across all of golf - even pros!

It’s utter rubbish to say that nobody would hear it because it’s the US Open - a properly shouted fore would be heard far and wide and alert people. Fore right, or fore left with the player holding their arm out - it’s not difficult and at least gives spectators or marshals a chance of moving!

Using radios to communicate between marshals is an idea... which could work but it would be much easier if the player just gave a clear shout! If a spectator chooses to ignore it then that’s their decision, at least the player did the right thing. But I believe the majority would pay attention, and if unsure would likely follow the other/nearby spectators in moving or covering their face etc.

jmcp

Visit site
I don’t condone BDC for not shouting fore but this championship has been one of the worst I have watched for the lack of shouting fore, including Rory McIlroy who has hit many shots towards the crowds without a shout yet nobody has singled him out and I don’t just mean on this forum but the sky commentators avoid ever criticisng him for it when imo he is one of the worst culprits and with him being one of the modern icons of our sport, it sets a terrible example to our young and new players.

Cheers, John

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've been 300 down a faitway at a major and heard a shout. You are also aware or the crowd around you.

If you are watching you see waving too.

Mind you, you see lots of events where the gallery are looking away.

There's no guarantee you will spot a ball or duck the right way... but a shout is better than no shout

Boomy

Visit site
I've been 300 down a faitway at a major and heard a shout. You are also aware or the crowd around you.

If you are watching you see waving too.

Mind you, you see lots of events where the gallery are looking away.

There's no guarantee you will spot a ball or duck the right way... but a shout is better than no shout

100% this ??

Boomy

Visit site
I don’t condone BDC for not shouting fore but this championship has been one of the worst I have watched for the lack of shouting fore, including Rory McIlroy who has hit many shots towards the crowds without a shout yet nobody has singled him out and I don’t just mean on this forum but the sky commentators avoid ever criticisng him for it when imo he is one of the worst culprits and with him being one of the modern icons of our sport, it sets a terrible example to our young and new players.

Cheers, John

Rory has shouted every time he’s sprayed one when I’ve been watching? and not just once he’s shouted repeatedly to make sure it was heard. He’s far, far from the worst, nowhere near - in fact the European players are the most likely to shout - the Americans not so! Maybe they get drowned out by the shouts of ‘mashed potato’ or ‘in the hole’ on a 500yard tee shot.

jmcp

Visit site
Rory has shouted every time he’s sprayed one when I’ve been watching? and not just once he’s shouted repeatedly to make sure it was heard. He’s far, far from the worst, nowhere near - in fact the European players are the most likely to shout - the Americans not so! Maybe they get drowned out by the shouts of ‘mashed potato’ or ‘in the hole’ on a 500yard tee shot.

I didn’t see much of the 3rd round but watched a lot of round 1 and 2 and he sprayed a lot of shots towards crowds and not once did I see him shout, very disappointing, also, there are plenty of the European players when playing in the PGA events seem to lose their voice and again, our broadcasters seem to omit criticism of them, all in my opinion of course.

Cheers, John

badgergm

Visit site
So DeChambeau slides one right on the 4th straight into the gallery and turns away in disgust as he picks up his tee. No shout, no arm right, just nonchelance at his bad shot.

How long will it be before someone is seriously hurt, or worse by the lack of signal? I don't care that he's 300 yards away, at least if he does something he's shown some action rather than not giving a tinker's toss, and it would alert the marshalls halfway down the fairway that a ball is heading into the crowd.

I know it's been discussed before but surely something has to be done before another life changing injury.
If it’s the hole I’m thinking of then he didn’t pick up his tee in disgust - because that is where he was aiming. Avoid the trouble on the left, not really rough on that side and a good line to the green.
Makes it worse IMO.

The Dog.

Visit site
Yes, for us. Our level of play.completely agree. But Foxholer makes valid points. When the situation is different, the solutions have to be different.
Hitting a ball 260 yds in the monthly medal, a shout of fore is going to be heard.
320 yds in a Major.? I would bet not.
What players should do is put their arm out to indicate left or right. So, as well,
With the marshalls using paddles doing the same, that is good indication.
Plus, I should think it a pretty good bet that marshalls down the course are instructed to watch the drives(obviously), particularly the paddle users and thus warn patrons if the ball is coming their way.
This talking point really should be clarified by the authorities.They must know that most patrons consider a non shout as bad form. They could address this and comment as to what actions , if any , are implemented to replace the fore shout.It could be publicised as to whether shouts from the tee can be heard.
Why they don't comment , I don't know.

Foxholer doesn’t make any good points. He is wrong. You’re in the same ballpark too.

If you hit a golf shot that has a chance of hitting someone then you shout fore very loudly. That is the game! If you don’t then you’re an arrogant dick. All this bilge about Marshall’s and radios is utter nonsense as is trying to defend professionals as if they’re your mates.

Some of the people on this forum seem absolutely clueless on golf. I’m all for beginners asking sensible questions and seeking help and guidance but plenty of the posts are inane or complete tripe.