Hitting behind the ball

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ive developed a really annoying habit of catching the ground an inch or so behind the ball, which just results in a huge divot that travels further than the ball. It only seems to happen with my shorter irons, 7 down. I don't know what I've done to start it happening and I can't see a pro until the end of next week at the earliest. Does anyone have any simple ideas to cure it? Cheers.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
*****I'm Not An Expert*****

1. Go to the range
2. Set up behind the ball
3. Put a little more weight on the leading foot (without moving your body/head forward)
4. Move the handle of the club an inch or two in front of the ball
5. Swing thought: keep weight where it is

Swing away as normal.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I tend to drift back to this fault if i dont shift my weight on my lower half through the ball

Also watch your spine angle, mine use to slump and cause a fat shot

Feel like you are standing taller with chin up, helped me hit crisp iron shots

G

guest100718

Hitting it fat can often be caused by not getting on to your left side on the way down, or even reverse pivoting. feel that you are loading your weight onto the inside of your right foot on the backswing and getting it to the left foot on the way down. Perhaps even over do it to get the feel of the correct weight transfer.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if you have a grass range i find it helps to put a tee in the ground about an inch or two in front of the ball, making sure you focus on hitting the ball and following through to the tee. After a while you'll soon be stopping the fats.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You may be trying to lift the ball into the air and getting on your back foot. You shouldn't need a lot of weight shift with short clubs but you need to stay more centered . Imagine you want to hit the ball under the low branch of a tree that is just infront of you, this will stop you scooping the ball.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, played a few holes this afternoon and the weight moving idea seems to have done the trick, didn't hit a single fat shot! Hit plenty in totally the wrong direction, but they were all decent contacts!:D