Hitting a 3 wood

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Right, that's it! The 3 wood (and 5 wood) have been removed from the bag. Sick and tired of struggling with these bats. Hitting them fat, thin, slicing them, hooking them, and very occasionally hitting a semi decent shot.

Can somebody please advise on the best swing when using one of these instruments?

I have 2 swings. With the irons it's a standard height to low swing plane, concentrating on turning about the spine axis and finishing quite high.

With the driver I swing back low and try to finish higher on the finish. Usually results in fairly straight drives.

Put a wood in my hands (on the fairway) and all confidence evaporates as I just can't seem to get my head round which is the best swing for these clubs.

Cheers.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I have been told that I adopt a different swing when taking my 3 wood off the fairway. it was described to me as though I was having a cr@p and sweeping the club but I have to say, its very effective!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds as if you're swaying about the place. Try and keep centred on the backswing and downswing which should improve your contact.
Try and video yourself from face on. That will tell you whats happening

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
I must admit I have taken my woods out of the bag. Although in theory the hybrid with the same loft should be shorter because of the shorter shaft because I am hitting it much more consistently it is now my distance club.

Lesson needed for my woods methinks.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love my fairway woods.

I just try to swing easy and sweep them off the top of the grass when club it at bottom of arc. For me that means having the ball just inside left heel and having a fairly shallow swing. 3 wood needs a good lie but 5 wood is quite forgiving. I try to focus on what I am trying to do rather than how I'm going to do it.

Trouble is once you start thinking think that you have a problem hitting them, then you have a problem hitting them.

Usual solution: a lesson and practice.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After years of bad wood shots I am finally getting there.I find a slow easy tempo and forward ball placement are the key.More weight on the left side helps too.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, that's it! The 3 wood (and 5 wood) have been removed from the bag. Sick and tired of struggling with these bats. Hitting them fat, thin, slicing them, hooking them, and very occasionally hitting a semi decent shot.

Can somebody please advise on the best swing when using one of these instruments?

I have 2 swings. With the irons it's a standard height to low swing plane, concentrating on turning about the spine axis and finishing quite high.

With the driver I swing back low and try to finish higher on the finish. Usually results in fairly straight drives.

Put a wood in my hands (on the fairway) and all confidence evaporates as I just can't seem to get my head round which is the best swing for these clubs.

Cheers.

There lies the problem.

Adopt the same swing for all clubs. Nothing should change except for ball position. Everything else is dictated by the length of the shaft.

Some people put a little bit more weight on the back foot at address for driver 60/40 but the swing should be identical.