Hitting a 3 wood

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
No confidence in my 3 wood whatsoever. So much so, I removed it from my bag for yesterdays competition.

I have honestly forgotten how to use the damned thing.

Do you swing the club like a driver or like an iron both off the tee and off the fairway? Tend to reach for the driver on most tee shots but would like to have the option of using a 3 wood if required.
On the fairway I tend to hit it fat and with either a poor hook or slice. In other words....... no idea how to use it!!! :fore:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Could be time to swap it for a 4-wood. Much easier to hit - but from same sort of situations.

Don't really think there's much of a difference in the way I hit irons, hybrids and woods - though there is with the Driver - as teed high and I hit it on the upswing.

Practice is the solution. I learn to hit woods off the deck by having to on some long links courses in Winter!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I normally hit my 3 and 5 woods really well. I find at times when I struggle with them I tend to get very narrow stanced. Widen the stance and put a swing on it like a easy 7 iron. Dont try to smash it.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can hit fairway woods and hybrids like irons. Think that's why i hit them ok but really struggle with the driver

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think you've really got to swing a 3 wod to get the best results, don't force it and make a smooth sweeping motion.

The longer shaft will get you the clubhead speed you need so the swing feels more relaxed than an iron swing.