Hit ball with practice swing on the tee

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Casual match on Tuesday so no dramas if we broke the rules but i wasn't sure at the time and I'm still not sure now.

My opponent teed his ball, and then took a practice swing, he made accidental contact and the ball went forward about ten yards. What should have happened? Carry on, or re-tee with a penalty?

I've had a look at 18-2 and it describes the procedure to follow if the above happened to a ball in play but, as he's on the tee, it's not yet in play. Or is it?

Regards,
Shep

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One of my three ball in comp did this last Sunday - though not from the tee. He muttered something about hitting his ball in a practice swing - but didn't ask and I didn't twig. Does he replace his ball with no penalty? Common sense tells me YES - he must. But does he HAVE to declare that he hit his ball by mistake - and hence HAVE to replace his ball? Again - common sense says No.

Last edited:

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One pen stroke for moving his ball in play and it must be replaced from where moved from or incurs a 2nd pen stroke.

If he doesn`t say it a was practice swing then it was just a bad shot and plays it from where it then lay.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
One pen stroke for moving his ball in play and it must be replaced from where moved from or incurs a 2nd pen stroke.

If he doesn`t say it a was practice swing then it was just a bad shot and plays it from where it then lay.

Wrong! The op said it was a practice swing so others are correct and no penalty, 're tee and away he goes

atticusfinch

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The ball is not in play until a stroke at it has been made. A practice swing mishit is not a stroke. Technically you do not replace the ball. You can re tee it anywhere in the tee box.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my three ball in comp did this last Sunday - though not from the tee. He muttered something about hitting his ball in a practice swing - but didn't ask and I didn't twig. Does he replace his ball with no penalty? Common sense tells me YES - he must. But does he HAVE to declare that he hit his ball by mistake - and hence HAVE to replace his ball? Again - common sense says No.
It depends on whether or not he was intending to hit the ball. If he was, it is a stroke. No penalty and do not replace the ball.
If he was not, he incurs a 1 stroke penalty and must replace the ball. If he doesn't there is another 1 stroke penalty and a possible serious breach DQ

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends on whether or not he was intending to hit the ball. If he was, it is a stroke. No penalty and do not replace the ball.
If he was not, he incurs a 1 stroke penalty and must replace the ball. If he doesn't there is another 1 stroke penalty and a possible serious breach DQ

He told me he didn't mean to hit the and moved it a couple of yards. He added a penalty shot - but didn't say whether of not he'd replaced it to where he'd accidentally hit it from. I guess I should have asked him.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not Wrong ! thought it was clear it referred to "his ball in play" (not a tee shot), which incurs 1 pen shot for moving it other than by a stroke. thought I had replied to "swingitlikehogans" post about moving a ball in play.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not Wrong ! thought it was clear it referred to "his ball in play" (not a tee shot), which incurs 1 pen shot for moving it other than by a stroke. thought I had replied to "swingitlikehogans" post about moving a ball in play.

The op states "my opponent teed his ball"

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The op states "my opponent teed his ball"

Two situations have been referred to in the thread. The OP asked about a missed tee shot (1) while Swingsitlikehogan was speaking about missing a ball later in playing the hole (2). We've got the right answers provided you relate them to the right question. :confused:

To summarise in case of any lingering confusion:

1) Before you have started a hole your ball is not in play. If you accidentally hit it, you have not made a stroke at it (because you didn't intend to hit it) and so you can re-tee anywhere in the teeing ground without penalty.

2) After your first stroke, your ball is in play and if you accidentally move it, there is a one stroke penalty and you must replace it.* If you fail to replace it, you incur a further penalty stroke. Your ball could still be teed up (after a whiff) or lying on the tee (after a duff).
*Exception: if the newish local rule is in place, if you accidentally move your ball on the putting green, it must be replaced but there is no penalty.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Two situations have been referred to in the thread. The OP asked about a missed tee shot (1) while Swingsitlikehogan was speaking about missing a ball later in playing the hole (2). We've got the right answers provided you relate them to the right question. :confused:

1) Before you have started a hole your ball is not in play. If you accidentally hit it, you have not made a stroke at it (because you didn't intend to hit it) and so you can re-tee anywhere in the teeing ground without penalty.

2) After your first stroke, your ball is in play and if you accidentally move it, there is a one stroke penalty and you must replace it.* If you fail to replace it, you incur a further penalty stroke. Your ball could still be teed up (after a whiff) or lying on the tee (after a duff).
*Exception: if the newish local rule is in place, if you accidentally move your ball on the putting green, it must be replaced but there is no penalty.

Thanks @Colin - of course my question answered by 2) is obvious if you actually think what has happened. My friends accidental hit was in effect no different from him accidentally kicking his ball when looking for it in the rough - quite simply accidentally moved'

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks Colin et al. Confusing thread but worked it out in the end!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The most important thing I need to know about this situation it thus:

Did someone HILARIOUSLY say "One" after the shot?

:D