Hire car damage.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Currently on holiday in Florida and had a bump in the hire car, nothing major, few scrapes on rear passenger door & wheel arch. Has anybody any experience as to what might happen on return? They took 250 dollars on my credit card which I assume will now not be refunded? Thanks.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Depends on the hire company and how rigorously they inspect the returned car. You are lucky they only took $250, €1000 is not uncommon in Europe these days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take pictures, fess up. I'm assuming you have insurance for it. Check the excess. The hire company may charge you the full whack but you will then have to claim from your insurance company. Perhaps speak to the car insurance people before returning the car to get their take on it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This is why i always take out full cover. Costs a few quid more. But worth it for the peace of mind. Hired a car from Gold car in Milan Malpensa. They are a company to avoid at all costs. Sent the car out with no damage but the day after there was damage under the back bumper which i noticed whilst stood 20 yd back. It was done prior. I mentioned it on return. They said “ dont worry you have full cover”. I was bogged off coz it had happened prior to me taking the car and they were claiming on my insurance but they were not bothered. My advice. Fess up👍 And get full cover in furure. 👍

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got an annual car hire excess policy. Cost £40 which will be a lot less than the comprehensive policy hire companies will try to sell you.

Never had to claim against it, but it's a UK firm and they get very good reviews.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get cover from an independent company not at the car hire desk or agency. Infinitely cheaper and they will often take the hassle.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Check your hire documents too.

Usually, you are required to report an incident to the hire car company right away. You might get away with a day by saying you were out and no signal, but don't leave it until you return, in case you find they decide to invalidate your cover for the hire contract breach and bill you for everything instead of just the excess.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Get cover from an independent company not at the car hire desk or agency. Infinitely cheaper and they will often take the hassle.
That is what I do. Less than £50 a year for European cover. Covers up to £6000 excess. Not sure what worldwide cover would be, but I am sure much cheaper than taking out hire car cover.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same - except I only hire a car once a year, if that. So on that basis I only take out the excess insurance on a trip by trip basis.

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a policy with Insurance 4 Car Hire. Luckily, not had to use them ever, but have heard they are very good if needed.