High fade with driver only - can i blame the shaft?

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Got the dreaded high fade only ever with the driver, my 5 wood is pin straight everytime.

Can i blame a whippy shaft (graffaloy pro launch blue, 65S) as even when i hit it nicely it feels 'odd' (like some resistance through the ball) or is it my swing ;)

Typical drive distance for me is 240 - 270 yards with the driver, around 210 - 230 with the 5 wood.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best thing to do is to have a go with a driver that has a softer shaft in it and see what happens. If all of a sudden you can hit it nice and straight then it may be the shaft. Hard to say without seeing the swing though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A whippy shaft would send it to the left, too stiff a shaft and it goes out to the right.More likely the swing than the driver

Very simplistic explanation and very often wrong - certainly doesn't happen for me!

It really depends on lots of things. In my case, 'going at it' brings me over the top, leaves the face open and my hands get quicker, so launch is higher direction tends to be about the same (subconscious compensation) but the sidespin means fade (at best) or slice.

Check what really happens and reverse-apply the ball flight laws. Fade definitely means path is out-to-in in with respect to the target line. The initial direction will show what the direction of the club-face is at impact. How you correct it is a different matter!