High Ball flight

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Background - I'm female, mid 50s and hcp 15

My natural shot with all my clubs is quite high (with a bit of a latent slice that i usually keep under control)

I play with a lot of women who hit low, but they have trouble stopping the ball.
I quite like the shape of my shots as I can land them on greens and they don't all roll off the back.

It means that my 7 iron doesn't go as far as many, but that's ok.
If I have to use a 7 to get the same length as someone else's 8, it doesn't matter.

Where is DOES matter is in cases where I can't take more club, ie with 3 wood and driver.
I would like to be lower with these clubs if that means I can be longer.
I feel I lose out as my ball spends to much time going UP rather than FORWARD.

I used to have a 12 degree driver but now play with a 10.5 and tbh they both go as high.

Any advice?

I will go for a lesson if I can't sort it out myself.
Thanks
Mimms

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I found that i can hit very high or low with the same driver / 3 wood depending on approach to ball

For driver i tee up using Pink castle, if i have 40/60 weight i hit it higher, if 50/50 low ball flight which is good for windy days etc

You could check that and maybe tee up higher a tad perhaps too

Be careful not to let your head get ahead of the ball at impact as you may sky them with a steep approach

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you are happy with the flight you get with your irons it might be worth looking at different shaft options for your driver and 3 wood. A heavier shaft helps to reduce spin rates which help to keep the ball down, also something with a higher kickpoint will also give you a lower launch angle. As a lady player, the heavier shaft may not be the best option though as you might struggle to generate enough clubhead speed.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you are happy with the flight you get with your irons it might be worth looking at different shaft options for your driver and 3 wood. A heavier shaft helps to reduce spin rates which help to keep the ball down, also something with a higher kickpoint will also give you a lower launch angle. As a lady player, the heavier shaft may not be the best option though as you might struggle to generate enough clubhead speed.

Haha... that's so rich coming from you!

Without seeing their swing you are suggesting that the OP should change the shafts in all their clubs? Surely you should be saying "Go see a fitter"......or a pro?

Too funny!!!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Haha... that's so rich coming from you!

Without seeing their swing you are suggesting that the OP should change the shafts in all their clubs? Surely you should be saying "Go see a fitter"......or a pro?

Too funny!!!

Read the first line of my post :whistle:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Where is DOES matter is in cases where I can't take more club, ie with 3 wood and driver.
I would like to be lower with these clubs if that means I can be longer.

Any advice?

Mimms

what shaft is in these clubs, what flight and how far do you currently hit each one?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you take divots with all of your clubs, just the short irons or not at all?
I rarely take a divot, and if i do, it is a little "shattered" divot and not something you can replace.
My wedges are really the only thing I divot with.#

@wolfman I use a pink castle for my driver. Would a lower (white) one help?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you hit them all high you must be adding loft to each club.
This can be done in several ways.
Turning the clubface to the right which will add loft which may fit in with your latent slice.
Leaning back away from your target will also add loft to the club which could fit in with your not taking any divots.
My money would be on perhaps a bit of both.
Try keeping your upper body centred above the ball at impact, that will be a good place to start

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert but have always had a high ball flight but get away with it as my distance is above the average of those I have played with. The reason tends to be technique and I can be a bit flippy at impact so my hands behind the club and therefore adding loft. My swing path is good so no adverse slice spin and usually straight/draw which might explain the distance being satisfactory.

When I get it right I take a divot and the ball flight looks all wrong to me as it's lower but way more penetrative.

I'd go the lesson route, with video so you can see what's happening.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm no expert but have always had a high ball flight but get away with it as my distance is above the average of those I have played with. The reason tends to be technique and I can be a bit flippy at impact so my hands behind the club and therefore adding loft. My swing path is good so no adverse slice spin and usually straight/draw which might explain the distance being satisfactory.

When I get it right I take a divot and the ball flight looks all wrong to me as it's lower but way more penetrative.

I'd go the lesson route, with video so you can see what's happening.

You're right Amanda.
I'll try and centre myself a bit more as Bob suggests with 3 and driver.

I actually don't want to change the rest of my shots as they work well for me.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You're right Amanda.
I'll try and centre myself a bit more as Bob suggests with 3 and driver.

I actually don't want to change the rest of my shots as they work well for me.

I'd take high flight over low skiddy ugly looking things any old day. Anyhow this year being so wet those players have lost out on the run :swing:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit both a 14 and 10.5 driver high off white castles I have just started having lessons, not got to the swing yet, just done grip and stance and still hitting high, starting on swing this week. Pro said that once my swing is right it wont matter how high I tee it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... Pro said that once my swing is right it wont matter how high I tee it.

those professionals - what do they know relative to 'forum advice' :)

NM - I would start by just getting some good video of your strike area if you have the necessary equipment; I suspect it will pretty obvious what's happening. If you have a few bob to invest ('cos it's an investment in the medium term) you should get a full assessment with a Trackman or similar equipment to establish the relationship between the club loft and trajectory with the ball launch angle and spin.

My money would be on an early release which will loose you power and have the effect of adding loft to all the clubs - I like Bob's approach as a starting point if you're not able to establish exactly what's going on (and why!).

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
My money would be on an early release which will loose you power and have the effect of adding loft to all the clubs

I'd also go for the ol' flipperooney :thup: mind you it could be the ol' leanbackarooney too, or a combination of the two..

..... the leanbackandflipperoonie (all technical stuff!)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep...I think a lesson is on the cards.
I'm not sure what sort of techy stuff our Pro has for analysis.
Mr Mimms will know... he;s very keen on video analysis and stuff.

Thanks Guys