Hickory Golf

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been reading and watching a bit about hickory golf,and i'm seriously considering giving it a go (at least i can blame the equipment when i play badly :D )
Has anybody else tried it,or maybe thought about trying it ?
What about a GM Hickory Club meet/competition ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have just sold my set.
I got bids from Sweden and Austrailia so quite a bit of interest in hickories.

You have to swing slower but there is surprisingly not a huge difference in playing. I could hit my driver about 200 yards, spoon 170.
Getting out of bunkers and putting needs a different action.
Good fun. Much higher skill levels required.
The top players can still get decent scores. Alistair Goode can knock it round Gullane No 3 in the low 70's.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I had a huge collection of hickory clubs a few years back and sold them.I did take a few out to the range once and was supprised how user friendly they were!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to know a great old Worcestershire Professional Golfer by the Name of Ron Moses. Ron showed me how to play the old Hickory shafted clubs, he called the action 'Drag and Trap' You had to take the club back so the shaft lagged behind your hands then bring it back down so it lagged on the downswing also. He described the action as similar to the way you would use a paintbrush when painting a fence. Your right wrist dragging the brush back behind it then dragging it back again behind it. It still is a sound way to swing a golf club.