Help with flight on Titleist 910 D2 9.5.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Evening all,
Im looking for some insight into the adjustment of this club..... I have it in my bag and when i bought it i left everything standard.... 0.5 degree open and 9.5 loft.....

My trouble is im not in a position to be able to get myself fit for clubs so im trying to minimise my dispersion.....Mainly loosing the ball right.....
Since my lessons im attacking the ball more from the inside but its with the driver im seeing the worst shots.....
A bad shot is a push slice and a push......
I rarely hook it..... Iv no problem getting the ball airborn..... Distance is also not an issue on straight shots.....

Is there a way in which i dont have to be aiming too far left so as not to loose the ball to the right as much.....

Im not really up on the whole loft and lie thing.... Is making the driver more upright also closing the face like it would do on irons or am i totally wrong.....

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have the same club and was having the same issue, I changed it to the highest loft and most draw and it's made a difference, funny thing was my distance has increased by 15/20 yards as well. I also didn't need the extra height, but it's not ballooning, so all good.
The loft brings down the dispersion for me

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is the push fade/slice your stock shot with a driver?

Is be wary about adjusting the settings on the head.

Simple reason is this. I have always hit a fade with the driver to this end I had it set to B2 to 'help' me out. Since taking lessons, like you l, I'm coming more from the inside. With the driver set to B2 I'm hitting more hooks than ever.

As a resulting moved the head back to A1 for tomorrow's medal.

My point is this. If the flight and shape are consistent, a minor adjustment may help. If you're missing both sides, chances are tour miss left would be made worse of you close the face.

The old saying fix the swing not the club will always apply to a club golfer. I know over the recent past you've worked hard on your swing so maybe something there has affected something else.

I know since I have had lessons my ball position has moved back markedly. Have you checked your ball position and grip?

My issue with grip caused some mahoosive hooks as my grip, over time had become too strong, but a little advice from Snelly put me straight.

Check the basics then move on from there.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You're trying to hit it too hard too soon.
Result....your lower half gets ahead of the upper half which throws the club to the outside and to compensate, you leave the club open at impact.
Listen carefully, I shall say this only once...........
Make the first 2 feet of the downswing the same speed as the last 2 feet of the backswing

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Make the first 2 feet of the downswing the same speed as the last 2 feet of the backswing

I shall try this Bob. I don't have said club but suffer the same fate with the driver and 3w. I manage it reasonably well but on the range last week hit at least 7 of my drives straight (a real first) and at distances of 250 plus roll out. When my old habits kicked in I was short of the 250 and way off to the right again. I'm really concentrating on 'sweeping' the ball off the tee and rolling/pushing my right shoulder through at impact more aggressively than I do with my 'stock swing'.

The other thing I'm really concentrating on is that little element of lag, which I guess marries what your suggesting re the first two feet of the down swing?

I use the Adams Super S Speedline and changed the loft back to 10.5* and to a flat lie as the 11.5* seemed to highlight my faults more and didn't suit.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Result....your lower half gets ahead of the upper half which throws the club to the outside and to compensate, you leave the club open at impact.

Thanks Bob.....
Really appreciate it...... I wish i had read this before i played today....Still shot a nett level par so happy enough..... Had an up and down driving day too...... Like you say when i dont try and kill it i hit the ball well..... Im out again in the morning so ill give your advice a go......

Thanks again..... To All......:thup:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the push fade/slice your stock shot with a driver?

Check the basics then move on from there.

More often than not Gar.... Same deal with the 4 and 5 iron...... And at times the 3 wood.... Seems to be only the longer stuff that its happening with....
Im thinking of just being happy with this shape as its frustrating trying to aim and draw some clubs and then push and fade others..... Im missing on both sides at times with the 3 wood and driver....So its definitely swing related like Bob says......

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site

Bob- is this a 'stock' response to someone who slices the driver?

kid2 is slicing longer clubs but not shorter clubs. Do you reckon it's a case of trying to smack the wee ball too hard and therefore rushing the transition into the downswing?

Makes sense and rings bells :thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Bob,

Is that a general recommendation?

Or is it just the solution for this fault - trying to hit too hard too soon.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Most people who slice the driver and not the other clubs tend to rush the transition.

The driver is the only club you cant club up from.

If you want to hit the ball further than a 9 iron, you hit an 8.
If you want to hit the ball further than a 6 iron, you hit a 5
If you want to hit the ball further than a driver, you hit the driver harder.....and harder.....and harder.
Tempo goes, timing goes, direction goes.
By all means, hit the wee thing but don't hit the power too soon
"Wait for the power"

S

Snelly

Most people who slice the driver and not the other clubs tend to rush the transition.

The driver is the only club you cant club up from.

If you want to hit the ball further than a 9 iron, you hit an 8.
If you want to hit the ball further than a 6 iron, you hit a 5
If you want to hit the ball further than a driver, you hit the driver harder.....and harder.....and harder.
Tempo goes, timing goes, direction goes.
By all means, hit the wee thing but don't hit the power too soon
"Wait for the power"

Wise words. Excellent post Bob.

Linkman

Visit site
Is the ball curving to the right or going straight right? Coming from the inside is good but try strengthening your grip a little and moving the ball slightly further forward in your stance. That worked for me.

I somehow doubt its your clubs. They don't make bad ones anymore. Only issue might be the flex. If you are swinging really hard too soft a shaft will leave the face open at impact. Hope this helps.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played yesterday a d2 in neutral. Best driver I've used. Didn't try to force any thing and the ball flew beautifully which for me backs up what bob says don't force it kid!

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
Bob- is this a 'stock' response to someone who slices the driver?

kid2 is slicing longer clubs but not shorter clubs. Do you reckon it's a case of trying to smack the wee ball too hard and therefore rushing the transition into the downswing?

Makes sense and rings bells :thup:

Oh my god, epiphany moment. This is what I'm doing!

I have a bit of a fade on my 4 and 5 irons occasionally and usually slice my driver. Anything else I'll hit straight unless I mess up the contact in which case I'll push it slightly. I'll slow things down when I play on Saturday and see what happens :)