Help : Rule 33-5 Query

Linda

Hacker
Visit site
Rule 33.5

I am new to this Forum. I played in a non qualifying comp at my club recently. The format was individual stableford with double points available on some holes. We were advised to record our bonus points (20*) in a separate column which I did along with recording my 34* stableford points in the box on the card based on my full handicap. No one told us to add up all the points*. I won the competition but was not awarded a prize for this because they said my card was not clear - but I was awarded a prize for the highest bonus points. They said the issue was I had not put my total of 54 in the box. I believe my card to be correct. Can anyone advise?

Linda

Hacker
Visit site
I am new to this Forum. I played in a non qualifying comp at my club recently. The format was individual stableford with double points available on some holes. We were advised to record our bonus points (20*) in a separate column which I did along with recording my 34* stableford points in the box on the card based on my full handicap. No one told us to add up all the points*. I won the competition but was not awarded a prize for this because they said my card was not clear - but I was awarded a prize for the highest bonus points. They said the issue was I had not put my total of 54 in the box. I believe my card to be correct. Can anyone advise?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Rule 33.5

Sounds like you were conned.

It is the players responsibility to record their number of shots. Adding up, conversion to points etc is the responsibility of the committee.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site

It is the players responsibility to record their number of shots. Adding up, conversion to points etc is the responsibility of the committee.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

In non-qualifying comps, clubs can do what they like.

However, I would expect them to treat scores pretty much along the lines of qualifying comps. These are that the player is responsible for entering the score on each hole and 'the system' (The Committee on this case) should work out overall points. Of course, that's along with Name, Handicap and signatures.

As you used the word 'advised' rather than 'told', I would not expect slight differences to matter hugely.

Sounds like you may have a reasonable case - though once competition results have been 'finalised' there's only a limited amount of redress available. Have they specified what was 'not clear'?

Linda

Hacker
Visit site

There were a couple of people taking and checking the cards manually. The issue is they are saying that because my total score was not on the card (54) this made it unclear. However, I feel I did exactly what they asked! There wasn't anything wrong with my card so they couldn't DQ me but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not about the prize it is the recognition of winning the overall top prize. I questioned the results after the presentation was made so obviously nothing can be done about it now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yep, you were done.

You only need to enter (up to) 18 gross scores for the holes, your name, handicap, data and signature, and the rest is up to the committee, including totalling the scores, adding points and applying any handicap strokes.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
It seems that some clubs have their own rules, people at our club have been disqualified for not carryin the first 9 total down to the bottom of the scorecard.
As yours was a comp with strange scoring I dont see it is your responsibilty to add up all the extras too.

Linda

Hacker
Visit site
It totally sucks. Our ladies section needs an injection of youth - myself being one of the younger ladies - but this sort of treatment hardly encourages a thriving healthy ladies section. I have won quite a lot this year...handicap has tumbled along the way and it isn't going down too well with the more mature members of the section.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
As BT says.

As well as Rule 33-5 which identifies the responsibility of the Committee, Rule 6-2 tells us that the player must record his handicap and Rule 6-6 tells us he must record the gross score for each hole; ensure his marker has signed it and sign it himself.

Decision 33-1/7 is probably your best reference for your situation:
[h=2]33-1/7[/h][h=4]Making Competitors Responsible for Adding Scores[/h]Q.May the Committee make it a condition of a competition that competitors are responsible for the addition of scores?
A.No. Such a condition would modify Rule 33-5.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

In non-qualifying comps, clubs can do what they like.

Are you sure? Rule 33-1 is unequivocal and not qualified in any way:

The Committee has no power to waive a Rule of Golf.

Requiring players to do any more than laid down in Rules 6-2 and 6-6 or to do something required of the Committee in 33-5 would be a waiving of a Rule and therefore not permissible in any competition, I reckon

(By the way, Linda, it's a bit confusing having two threads going on the same topic!)

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It totally sucks. Our ladies section needs an injection of youth - myself being one of the younger ladies - but this sort of treatment hardly encourages a thriving healthy ladies section. I have won quite a lot this year...handicap has tumbled along the way and it isn't going down too well with the more mature members of the section.
ah - was it the more mature ladies who were doing the checking? sounds like jealousy petal! rise above them - fill in their stupid cards the way they want - dont put a foot wrong - and they will hate you even more, but just think how smug you will feel!

I've had similar - phone calls asking if i'd signed their daft book when playing an alternate day, almost DQd for not signing my card when i hadnt even added it up or handed it in (the lady in question had forcibly taken it from my marker saying that she had to put the scores into the computer immediately!)

just you enjoy your golf! ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Handicap qualifier or not, the rules of golf still apply.

Conditions of Entry can add to Rules of Golf (but not waive nor contradict them).

So yes, my statement was deficient. It should have mentioned not breaking/waiving Rules of Golf.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Stick a letter of complaint in referring to the rules of golf and demand you are reinstated as the comp winner and demand the prize, that's why you enter and pay your fee.

That will get them going. :thup:

Linda

Hacker
Visit site
Indeed it was. Thanks for your advice. All this does is make me even more determined to beat them. I'm gonna get me some silver this year :whoo: