Help needed on Iron chose please.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok so my normal irons are Taylormade forged. When I am playing well(not often at the moment) these are great. So I am not going to change them.

But since I came back from injury, I am not as consistent as I would like at the moment. I have been looking to get a more forgiving set, but not big ugly GI clubs. I want to get a half decent set but not break the bank,

I have cut it down to the following 3 sets and was looking, for any views from you guys as to what you think of them. The shafts mainly.

"Nike pro cavity 4/PW with Project X 5.5 graphite shafts"
As above but with Nike true temper dynalite shafts. Not sure about Nikes own shafts though.
Mizuno JPX 800 4/PW with Nippon Pro 950GH shafts.

All have lightweight shafts Reg flex which I want. So any views on both the clubs/shafts I would be grateful.

The cost of the clubs are.
Mizuno £400.
Nike either set £230.

All the sets are new not second hand. As you can see there is a big price gap. So would the extra cost of the Mizuno's be worth it.

Thanks for reading this far. Over to you guys/gals.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the JPX irons are anything like the Woods, I'd get them in a heartbeat. I've seen them in the flesh and although they're chunky (by Mizuno standard) they're still fairly streamlined.

I've hit the JPX Pros and they are awesome, so if the non-forged JPXs are anywhere near as good, they'd be well worth the cash.

Can't comment on the Nikes unfortunately.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Have you considered MX25s? Much cheaper - Ebay is the place for these.

Have seen a couple of guys struggle with 'Players cavities' getting great results with JPX800s though. Others getting similar results after proper fitting - to ugly, if Vega, Cavities!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you hit any of the 3 sets you are considering? Which did you hit best and "fitted" you best?

Have hit the Mizzys and the graphite nikes. Not the steel shaft Nikes. But only off the mats. Seem to hit both ok. Mizzys maybe a bit further but not much in it. Like the look of the mizzys more. But not sure if £200 more? Both sets fit ok as luckily I'm standard fit in loft&lie. Only need quarter inch shorter, so no problem just grip down a tad, until they need a re-grip then sort that then if need be.

Last edited: