help, complete meltdown on chips

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having probs with my chipping under pressure, don't think its technical as on the practice ground I'm fine, and on the course my practice swing is ok, then I just seem to get nervous and quick on the shot.
Anyone have any good tips. Thanks

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn't seem to matter bob, two examples from yesterday were bump and run with a pw, that I duffed, and had to go over a bunker so used my 56 and bladed it.
When I do this my heads up looking, and tips to keep it down?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Low confidence leads to anxiety which leads to poor performance which leads to low confidence.
You just need to recognise what you're doing wrong and have the confidence to make a positive change on the course.
Did you see my chipping video and if so, did it not help?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
for chip and runs id recommend holding the club a little tighter than usual. i seem to make better connection when i do this with these types of shots which goes compleltly aganist the "soft hands" approach that you always hear about.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you think that is bad, wait til you start shanking it too!

Stop it you naughty man :angry: ;)

Try this drill JT

[video=youtube;NA8aMPqdmbY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8aMPqdmbY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=5&feature=plcp[/video]

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not an expert by any means (but that's never stopped anyone here putting their two cents in!) but if you can chip well in practice and you reckon it's a pressure issue then have a think about what you're thinking about when you stand over a chip like the ones you just described. If you're a mess of mental chatter then chances are you're getting in your own way. In advice taking from putting theory which should translate easily to chipping its not a chip to save par, or a chip to win a match, its a ball, a hole and 20 yards of grass. All you should be thinking about when you settle over the ball is the target, your thinking about how to execute the shot should be done behind the ball. Just try chipping the ball into the hole next time, you might find that nice touch you have on the practice ground is where it always was. Chin up chap it's a blip you'll get over it.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks folks, except brendy lol bloody shanker!!
Have a match tonight so will have a go at that curls, thanks, bob can't watch the vid as in work, hopefully get to see it tonight, thanks again.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with Curls and adopt the same approach to chips as I do putts. Look at the task in hand, line/landing spot, club required etc etc and then stand over the ball and take a long last look at the hole whilst my blasted brain shuts up and then hit it. The key to me is to have done all the thinking before I stand over the ball and think nothing (except perhaps the latest tune in my head) when I play the shot...

Good luck in the match later.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Amanda, won 3&1 :)
Hit a couple good pitches, but lots to do still.

Excellent. Try giving up some control and allowing instinct to come to the fore. It feels a bit scary at first but I've come to realise it's when my short game is at its best. Harder to do still with a match on the line or a card in hand!