Health and Safety

DazzerCat

Visit site
Played golf on wednesday, and was standing on our 9th tee waiting for our 4th to tee off. Without any warning - next minute I am on the ground having been hit directly on the top of the head from an adjacent hole.

Apparently the player did not see where his ball went. My Poser> Should you shout FORE under these circumstances ?

My view - is certainly that you should, rather than be potentially negligent. I also am thinking of wearing a cycle helmet at future games.

Knee Jerk? Possible, but kids now bomb the ball 300 yards and shouts of fore are unlikely to carry that far. In my case, it was an elderly guy from 150 yards, but I remain more than a little shocked by the incident and a lot less safe when I next go out to play.

Attachments

• IMG_4879.jpg
    IMG_4879.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
That looks nasty, hope you're okay - but love the fact that it looks like you're sitting in the clubhouse rather than going for a few stitches!

I feel the onus is on your entire group to shout 'fore' - at least someone in the group should be able to watch the ball. With the sun as low as it is this time of year, there's a few holes at our place where the person teeing off has no chance of watching the ball so the others do and shout as necessary.

Unless it's windy or directly into the wind, you can hear shouts from 300 yards.... but in any event, if you lose track of your ball and there's the slightest possibility it could be wayward, just shout - it doesn't cost you anything. If it's in the middle of the fairway and no danger to anyone, it still hasn't cost you anything.

RichA

Visit site
Not sure about a helmet, but I think I might get a new pair of Oakley shades. I worry more about my eyes than the bony bits.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got a bollocking the other day for not specifying left or right when I shouted fore. I never tend to say left or right because when I hear it I always think "my left or their left ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got a bollocking the other day for not specifying left or right when I shouted fore. I never tend to say left or right because when I hear it I always think "my left or their left ?
I'm with you. When I hear fore, I just take a defensive position. I'm not thinking about left or right, there left or my left etc. People can add left or right if they want to, perhaps on some courses it adds something?, but fore alone is the key.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What about the other people in their group, were none of them watching his ball either? Anyone one of them could/should have shouted fore.
I'm not sure about a cycle helmet, but if you're genuinely concerned, then have a search for "bump baseball caps". They are like a normal baseball cap but have a plastic insert with padding that will soften the blow a bit. They're used in industrial areas where it's too confined to wear a hard hat, but still offer some protection.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I trust you got his name etc

He is negligent and court cases have been held that have upheld that decision.

If it is an English golf club and he is an England Golf member he would be insured even if he does not have his own insurance or or the club have insurance.

DazzerCat

Visit site
Thanks for the comments. For the record, I was 'waiting', in the clubhouse for my wife to take me to A&E, because that was going to be quicker than any other option.
Due to discuss safety issues with the club GM soonest, but was interested in getting some feedback first.
I am lucky and have a hard head! But still very shaken.

FELL75

Visit site
Played golf on wednesday, and was standing on our 9th tee waiting for our 4th to tee off. Without any warning - next minute I am on the ground having been hit directly on the top of the head from an adjacent hole.

Apparently the player did not see where his ball went. My Poser> Should you shout FORE under these circumstances ?

My view - is certainly that you should, rather than be potentially negligent. I also am thinking of wearing a cycle helmet at future games.

Knee Jerk? Possible, but kids now bomb the ball 300 yards and shouts of fore are unlikely to carry that far. In my case, it was an elderly guy from 150 yards, but I remain more than a little shocked by the incident and a lot less safe when I next go out to play.
Crikey, that does look bad. Often wondered why a hybrid cap based on a bump/site cap combined with your standard golf cap hasn't materialised. They look pretty similar...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ouch - sorry to see that.

Maybe next time try controlling it on your chest instead of heading it away? ;)

I tried that some years back when my regular playing partner hit one straight at me from about 80 yards. He complained that I didn't chest it back on the fairway. At football I was usually a centre back and rarely chested a ball !

D

Deleted member 23270

Thanks for the comments. For the record, I was 'waiting', in the clubhouse for my wife to take me to A&E, because that was going to be quicker than any other option.
Due to discuss safety issues with the club GM soonest, but was interested in getting some feedback first.
I am lucky and have a hard head! But still very shaken.
Did the guy save par?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same thing happened to me pre covid, no shout .
Heard a bell go off in my head and woke up in hospital .
Had Vertigo for several weeks.
Had a head scan ,very scary moments.
Guy hit a tree and it shot down my fairway on the fly.
I was unlucky and lucky that day that’s just how I look at it, it could happen to any of us.
But FORE is a must if you don’t see it.imo.

If you buy a cheap bump cap off eBay £5 you can trim the plastic insert to fit in a normal golf cap.
I won’t play without it now.
Just one thing they do make you sweat on your head in summer

DazzerCat

Visit site
Did the guy save par?
My partner thought the ball had hit our wooden tee marker (the suggestion about the thickness of my head didn't escape me!). The ball bounced 20 yards into thick rough, so no lucky par escape.

Thx also for the other cap suggestions. I will look them before venturing out nervously for my next game.