Head Covers on Forged irons

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you have a nice new sexy set of irons, then you go and put a plastic flunky on them? It's the same as these people who use car seat covers, all your doing is keeping them nice for the person you eventually sell them to. There beautiful to look at, don't cover them up.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you have a nice new sexy set of irons, then you go and put a plastic flunky on them? It's the same as these people who use car seat covers, all your doing is keeping them nice for the person you eventually sell them to. There beautiful to look at, don't cover them up.

I like this :clap:

I'm also of the opinon that striking the ground (Taking a divot) playing out of bunkers and off cart paths will do more damage to a club than them clinking together in your bag.

Each to their own though. I you want to use them that's just fine with me :thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The current Mrs148 got me a nice set of blue mizuno iron covers last Christmas, Trouble was i lost two of them first time out on the course.;(

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk
I would defiantly get headcovers, i cant stand the noise without them on. But when playing in the rain, you will need to take the off, because your heads will rust, trust me, my miura's are not as shinny as they once were.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its the backs of the clubs that get the most damage from chatter. Its not about keeping them good for someone else too.
Would you ignore your car and let it get dings etc or would you look after it? Golf clubs arent a cheap, why let them degrade when it is easily preventable?
Bag chattering can make a 6 month old set of virtually new clubs look like 10 year old hammers.

I like this :clap:

I'm also of the opinon that striking the ground (Taking a divot) playing out of bunkers and off cart paths will do more damage to a club than them clinking together in your bag.

Each to their own though. I you want to use them that's just fine with me :thup:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
If i was getting a new set , i would definatly get some for them .. as regarding rust id imagine it would only be if they were wet & you didnt dry them .. not sure tho

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its the backs of the clubs that get the most damage from chatter. Its not about keeping them good for someone else too.
Would you ignore your car and let it get dings etc or would you look after it? Golf clubs arent a cheap, why let them degrade when it is easily preventable?
Bag chattering can make a 6 month old set of virtually new clubs look like 10 year old hammers.

While I see your point, well made by the way, I still disagree.

As I said in a previous thread, I have been playing in second hand set of Mizuno blades, without headcovers, all year.

When I brought the clubs they were in fantastic condition, and after a year of been carried around on my back, clinking away, they are still in just as good condition.

I would argue that there is more wear on the sole of the clubs through general play as opposed to the rear of the heads through bag clatter.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
While I see your point, well made by the way, I still disagree.

As I said in a previous thread, I have been playing in second hand set of Mizuno blades, without headcovers, all year.

When I brought the clubs they were in fantastic condition, and after a year of been carried around on my back, clinking away, they are still in just as good condition.

I would argue that there is more wear on the sole of the clubs through general play as opposed to the rear of the heads through bag clatter.

+1

the car analogy is flawed as you don't drive around with a great big cover over your car.........or maybe you do.
forged clubs look great even with tiny dinks, its just called used lovingly :p

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wouldnt hit my 3-pw off stones etc so my soles are in good condition as are the backs of em :), I would use one of my wedges instead as they are easier to replace individually.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
But you wouldnt put your car in the way of getting dents, ie if you knew a guy in work threw his car door open each morning, would you park beside him?
+1

the car analogy is flawed as you don't drive around with a great big cover over your car.........or maybe you do.
forged clubs look great even with tiny dinks, its just called used lovingly :p

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wouldnt hit my 3-pw off stones etc so my soles are in good condition as are the backs of em :), I would use one of my wedges instead as they are easier to replace individually.

The way I see it, clubs are designed to be used. Wear and tear is all part of the normal cycle of use for most things, be it a golf club or a car. Dinks and dents come with the territory.

To use your own anaolgy. If you introduced your wedge to a stone in a bunker that but a mark on the rear of the head, would you drop the wedge straight away and buy a new one because of the chip/mark/damage?

Like I say. I have no issue with people who want to use headcovers. We pay a lot of money for equipment and it's nice to keep it in as good a condition as possible. IMHO, I believe more damage is done to clubs being usee what they were designed for, actually hitting balls, and the gound as opposed to clinking together as they are carried between shots.

That's just my opinion that's all.

If I think on tonight, I'll take a picture of one of the clubs in my bag and post it on this thread to try and substantiate my point.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do use head covers on my irons, just a personal preference really. I like the forged heads to look like new without the chatter dinks and the chatter noise gets on my nerves too.

My irons don't rust as wipe them down after each shot and clean after each round. Then once a month a WD40 bath for them..

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
They look crap
They are a pain to be taking on and off
They look crap
They hold moisture and dirt
They look crap