HC for dummies...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi peoples, just wondering if there's an easy way to calculate yer score minus yer handicap or is it all dependant on slope ratings and wotnot...

I'm reasonably new to the game in a competitive nature having only just aquired my handicap of 21 and to be honest I find it complicated enough to just piece together a half decent round in the high 80's to low 90's let alone then have to work out my final score when taking into account my handicap...

Is there an easy way of doing it or do I need to go to uni and take a degree in 'handicap scoring' before I'll ever get anywhere near to figuring it out...

Any advice/pointers would be most appreciated...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi peoples, just wondering if there's an easy way to calculate yer score minus yer handicap or is it all dependant on slope ratings and wotnot...

I'm reasonably new to the game in a competitive nature having only just aquired my handicap of 21 and to be honest I find it complicated enough to just piece together a half decent round in the high 80's to low 90's let alone then have to work out my final score when taking into account my handicap...

Is there an easy way of doing it or do I need to go to uni and take a degree in 'handicap scoring' before I'll ever get anywhere near to figuring it out...

Any advice/pointers would be most appreciated...

Not quite getting your problem. If you have a handicap of 21 and knock it round in gross 90 - then your nett score is 69. What you do on a hole-by-hole basis is irrelevant in stroke play/medal format. At the end of the round when doing your card you tot up your total gross.

If it's a scratch/gross competition then your score before taking your handicap off is what counts. If it is a handicap competition then it is your nett score that counts - so you take your handicap off your gross total.

Stableford is a different matter - but still simple.

Last edited:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not quite getting your problem. If you have a handicap of 21 and knock it round in gross 90 - then your nett score is 69. What you do on a hole-by-hole basis is irrelevant in stroke play/medal format. You just take your handicap off your total gross score.

If it's a scratch/gross competition then your score before taking your handicap off is what counts. IF it is a handicap competition then it is your nett score that counts.

Stableford is a different matter - but still simple.

You see, now that's exactly why I frequent this site, nobody has bothered to explain it like that to me so far, whenever I've asked before the answers I got always involved slope ratings etc, you know the sort of stuff I mean, X this, Y that and Z the other and to be honest it just baffled the poop outta me...

For instance our 4th/par 5 is 487yds, I got a 5 net 3 up there t'other evening so I worked out I get 2 shots on that one (although I still don't know how that is calculated) but what I don't know is how you work out on which holes you get shots and not get shots...

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Off 21 you get a shot a hole 1-18, then on the three highest ( hardest) stroke indexes 1-3 you get another shot on each :thup:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Off 21 you get a shot a hole 1-18, then on the three highest ( hardest) stroke indexes 1-3 you get another shot on each :thup:

Absolutely - but only in the context of a competition that is scored on a hole-by-hole basis e.g stableford or matchplay. And as far as the additional shot on SI 1-3 - only if it is full handicap and not limited to 18.

Dear OP - for any comp that is scored on a hole-by-hole basis there are quite a number of variants on how your handicap is applied. What I explained is when you are playing a round where you add up your score at the end - the simplest and what most golfers want to know.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
WOOHOO!!!

Some form of clarification at last, so if Ive understood this right then basically I get a shot on each and every hole plus an extra shot on our 4th, 7th and 14th holes all of which being a stroke index of 3 or less...

Thanks very much gents, been bugging the turd outta me for weeks has that one... :thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slope is only relevant in countrie which use it (not used in the UK) and is only used when you play away from your home club.

Your score is simply your gross score minus your handicap.

Handicap adjustments are where it can seem a little complicated. For male players these are based upon your score adjusted for any whole where the nett score is more than double bogey to nett double bogey compared against the Competition Standard Scratch.

Eg Say you hit a gross score of 95 but there are 4 holes where you hit triple bogey, your score for handicap adjustment purposes is then 95-4=91.

If the Competition Standard Scratch is calculated as 70 your adjusted score minus your handicap would be 70 so your handicap would remain the same.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
WOOHOO!!!

Some form of clarification at last, so if Ive understood this right then basically I get a shot on each and every hole plus an extra shot on our 4th, 7th and 14th holes all of which being a stroke index of 3 or less...

Thanks very much gents, been bugging the turd outta me for weeks has that one... :thup:

You can view it that way - and many do even when playing a 'medal' round. But the holes you get a shot on - as you now correctly understand - only matters in the context of a comp or match that is scored on a hole-by-hole basis.

When playing in a strokeplay comp (i.e. one where you add up your score on each hole to give a total for the round) - in the end it does not matter which holes you get a shot on. You simply take your handicap off your total if it is handicap strokeplay comp - you don't if it is not a handicap comp.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You can view it that way - and many do even when playing a 'medal' round. But the holes you get a shot on - as you now correctly understand - only matters in the context of a comp or match that is scored on a hole-by-hole basis.

When playing in a strokeplay comp (i.e. one where you add up your score on each hole to give a total for the round) - in the end it does not matter which holes you get a shot on. You simply take your handicap off your total if it is handicap strokeplay comp - you don't if it is not a handicap comp.

Yeah I get you, it was more for my benefit really, just trying to understand how the rules work a bit more that's all...

Nothing worse than standing on a tee with someone asking you 'how many shots d'you get on this hole' and then me having to stand there like a complete dumbass and say 'Uhhh dunno' at least now I can give an answer... :thup:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah I get you, it was more for my benefit really, just trying to understand how the rules work a bit more that's all...

Nothing worse than standing on a tee with someone asking you 'how many shots d'you get on this hole' and then me having to stand there like a complete dumbass and say 'Uhhh dunno' at least now I can give an answer... :thup:
I think it would be rare that anyone asks you that to be honest. But yeah, it's potentially worth knowing for Stablefords, if only to know when to pick up your ball and move on.