Have you tried a swing change and ruined your game

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i have tried two changes today

1. trying hard to keep tops of arms feeling connected in the swing Result = pulled shots

2. Putting keeping elbows tucked in to sides Result = lack of feel and harder pendulum stroke

Gone back to relaxed feel on both and things have got better

I guess the dangers are over doing the change and feeling tense, anybody else found this ?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recently was told to change something and it made my game terrible, doing my old swing I could hit nice shots but had too much draw. When I applied the changes my pro suggested I hit everthing thin or sliced.

I then realised that I had to make other adjustments, I started standing more athletic (also suggested by another pro about a year previous) and then applied the adjustments and suddenly I was playing like Luke Donald.

Often you need to get the lesson to get the direction then work out how you need to apply it. I know my usual faults and I had slipped back into a VERY old one (being hunched over the ball).

Once fixed I could then apply the advice properly, RESULT!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My golf is full of this sort of thing.

I've adopted a new posture and have been working on puffing out my chest and keeping my arms in tight.

Sometimes it works and it's great. Other times it's just a disaster of epic proportions.

I'm seriously thinking of asking my pro to do half an hour practise with me (paid of course) to check I'm not overdoing something or other.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to admit. I have given up on swing changes. Sick of 3 steps back to go 1 step forward. From now on its use my natural swing and live with it.

After all watching the open. There are as many swings as there are golfers.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think sometimes its better to be relaxed and confident with your old swing at times

Trying hard to keep my arms connected i hit some poor shots and some good shots, back to my old reliable swing !

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess the dangers are over doing the change and feeling tense, .....

I think the dangers are more about tinkering with a swing that swing changes per se

Minimum of 1000 practice balls with a 6 iron would be associated with any swing change in my book, otherwise you are simply focusing on the feeling of change rather than feeling comfortable and swinging (with any change).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I started hitting the ball with huge variations in quality of strike and distance after a period of my best play ever. I went to the range today and was chtting to the pro who was too booked up for a half hour lesson.

He watched 2 shots and said that my arms were turned outward at setup,one quick correction and I was hitting straight again.

I told him to slap me if he sees me change anything again!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to admit. I have given up on swing changes. Sick of 3 steps back to go 1 step forward. From now on its use my natural swing and live with it.

After all watching the open. There are as many swings as there are golfers.

If you work with a pro for a while, having maybe a lesson every 5-8 weeks they will probably get to know your swing and make change suggestions accordingly. If your body needs a certain way to get to the right positions and impact thats fine. But often making minor changes pays off hugely.

I feel I have never varied from my natural swing but I find the pro always has things for me to work on and improve.

If you are really concerned there is no harm in talking to your pro, explain your concerns and they might then give you something different to work on that will help! I have always tried to give feedback and direction to my pro and I found it got me value for money in my lessons!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I guess the dangers are over doing the change and feeling tense, anybody else found this ?

Not really.

If you go from an 'arm swing' to a 'connected swing' then you need to know why and (probably more importantly) what else you have to do to make it work.

I've made little changes that don't work immediately as other parts have to accept the change into your swing and work WITH your new moves.. not against them.

If you are happy with your ballflight, distance and direction then don't change anything :D just practice your putting :D