Have you ever tallied up your bad shots !!

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in the medal today and scraped the buffer after throwing away so many shots on the first 13 holes.

Decided to go through my round in my head there and count the bad ones today.

It went a little like this,

Poor driver shots - 3 of them.
Poor Hybrid shots - 5 of them.
Poor Iron shots - 1 with a 4 iron.
Poor chip shots - 4
Poor putts (proper poor ones) - 5
Poor sand shots - 1

19 bad shots i played today out of the 80 blows i went round in.

Makes one realise that there is still plenty room for improvement !!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you think of shots which were imperfectly struck as 'bad' if they leave you in a goodish position and don't cost any shots ?

After all, everything is a layup till it's in the hole.

There's a lot of golfers who think it's a game of 'golf swing' and not golf, and it probably doesn't help them enjoy the game or score as well as they might. Although of course, a realistic assessment of weaker points of one's game is very helpful in moving it forward.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do you think of shots which were imperfectly struck as 'bad' if they leave you in a goodish position and don't cost any shots ?

After all, everything is a layup till it's in the hole.

There's a lot of golfers who think it's a game of 'golf swing' and not golf, and it probably doesn't help them enjoy the game or score as well as they might. Although of course, a realistic assessment of weaker points of one's game is very helpful in moving it forward.

I'll classing bad shots as follows,

Duck hooked driver shots.
Topped Hybrid shots (5 of them !!!)
Fatted 4 iron shot.
Duffed chip shots that go nowhere
Tap in putts missed and other long puts that don't even make it half way to the hole
Thinned sand shots over the green !!

They were all proper bad shots. Now I I hit lots of other shots that missed targets etc but they were struck well enough just off target. These were just all terrible shots !!

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It was said somewhere that Hogan reckoned he had at least 5 bad shots per round. It isnt the bad shot that is necessarily the culprit but the way you handle it and recover.

I totally agree Homer and dont ever expect to not play any bad shots. I was just surprised at how many really bad ones I had out there. A quarter of the shots I played were gash. Thats quite a lot I thought.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pendodave has a similar view to me - count what's costing you shots rather than shots that didn't give the result you want. You can't play every shot perfect, but with good course management you can reduce the effects of an imperfect shot, sometimes to the point when even a bad shot can have a good result.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Pendodave has a similar view to me - count what's costing you shots rather than shots that didn't give the result you want. You can't play every shot perfect, but with good course management you can reduce the effects of an imperfect shot, sometimes to the point when even a bad shot can have a good result.

I am aware of that and there was shots that missed the targets or didn't get the required results and these were not counted. My issues was just too many really bad shots. I mean I had a couple of putts of about 10 to 15 foot and left them 5 or more foot short. Theres just no excuse for that. And chip shots that you duff half way to where they should be heading. Don't get me wrong here of the bad shots I played I played some decent ones after them and scrambled well to end not too badly but have to sort out the mistakes as they are too costly.

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
I totally agree Homer and dont ever expect to not play any bad shots. I was just surprised at how many really bad ones I had out there. A quarter of the shots I played were gash. Thats quite a lot I thought.

Better way of looking at it. 3/4 of your shots ranged from not damaging through to perfect and all stops in between and you still shot 80 despite 19 unsatisfactory strikes which may or may not have cost you a shot. Eradicate just over half the bad shots and your busting par or getting pretty close to it. In fact most of the other 61 shots you played must have been pretty darn good to score 80 off 19 duff shots.

Tally up the bad shots by all means, but take something positive from it or it was a pointless self harming exercise.

My gut feeling is that you might need to look a little harder at the mental side of the game, including best and worst case scenarios for shot choices (course management)

Last edited:

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Better way of looking at it. 3/4 of your shots ranged from not damaging through to perfect and all stops in between and you still shot 80 despite 19 unsatisfactory strikes which may or may not have cost you a shot. Eradicate just over half the bad shots and your busting par or getting pretty close to it.

Tally up the bad shots by all means, but take something positive from it or it was a pointless self harming exercise.

Couldn't put it better myself. I'm not beating myself up about it quite the opposite, as you say if I had played at least half of them better I'd have been on to something decent and thats the way I'm looking at it. Was just surprised how many poor shots were out there despite making the buffer.

Put it this way H/C aside. I played 13 over gross today and made 19 stupid mistakes. Thats the inspiration required to get out there next time and make less mistakes.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think we can all do it Hendo. Yesterday I played 4 poor iron shots and had 2 putts take bobbles 12" short of the hole and slide down the side. Without those I would have shot 2 over and got 44 points in one of my clubs big comps. There is a reason why we are on the handicaps we are.

Five&One

Head Pro
Visit site
I think we can all do it Hendo. Yesterday I played 4 poor iron shots and had 2 putts take bobbles 12" short of the hole and slide down the side. Without those I would have shot 2 over and got 44 points in one of my clubs big comps. There is a reason why we are on the handicaps we are.

I look at it this way. If a hole is a par 5 and you have 6 shots. One of those shots was a 'bad' shot that you didn't recover from. Take Hendos half way short putts from 15 feet. If he holes the next putt he's recovered the bad shot, assuming the putt total is two. If he lips it out he hasn't recovered from the initial bad putt because he's 3 putted from 15 feet.

If you top a hybrid 60 yards but hit a 6 iron to 6 feet on your next shot you have recovered the topped shot.only a bad putt is now going to stop you making par.

Assuming par of 67 at Hendos course and he has scored 13 over par 80. This means that he recovered on six occasions out of 19 bad shots. Not an exact science by any means but I reckon scoring 80 after the nature of the bad shots he described, is a pretty damn inspirational round of recovery golf. That seems to be the way he is looking at it in any event.

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I reckon if you are honest then its way more than you think, missing the green from short range, missing the fairway with an off centre strike that you get away with, putts coming out the heel etc etc, these are bad shots.

I think from memory Sam Torrance once said you'll hit more bad shots than good good shots. Bad shots are not just out and out duffs.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is typical of how I've made 6 consecutive 0.1s back.

3rd hole, shank OB =2 shots
4th hole, chip dies on the fringe = 1 shot (not a total bad shot this one)
5th hole, pull into trees = 2 shots
6th, scuff ground on four foot putt = 1 shot
9th, miss an even shorter putt = 1 shot
14th, thinned 9 iron over back of green = 1 shot
18th, weak shot doesn't carry pond = 1 shot

9 shots total taken from my score of 8 over handicap = 1 under handicap. It's a frustrating game.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I look at it this way. If a hole is a par 5 and you have 6 shots. One of those shots was a 'bad' shot that you didn't recover from. Take Hendos half way short putts from 15 feet. If he holes the next putt he's recovered the bad shot, assuming the putt total is two. If he lips it out he hasn't recovered from the initial bad putt because he's 3 putted from 15 feet.

Assuming par of 67 at Hendos course and he has scored 13 over par 80. This means that he recovered on six occasions out of 19 bad shots. Not an exact science by any means but I reckon scoring 80 after the nature of the bad shots he described, is a pretty damn inspirational round of recovery golf. That seems to be the way he is looking at it in any event.

Par is 68, I finished 12 over. Sorry wee typo there.

Val there was others and I did scramble well. Sometimes there was 2 or even 3 poor shots on a hole. I

I'm not under any illusions here, I know where my game is at and that I will make mistakes, sometimes I will recover well and others I won't. My point is I ended my round today in the buffer but to be honest didn't play the first 12 holes very good and was surprised at how many poor shots there was out there.

I don't expect to play the perfect golf (not yet anyway) but feel that 19 was a lot and something to take positives from.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the medal today and scraped the buffer after throwing away so many shots on the first 13 holes.

Decided to go through my round in my head there and count the bad ones today.

It went a little like this,

Poor driver shots - 3 of them.
Poor Hybrid shots - 5 of them.
Poor Iron shots - 1 with a 4 iron.
Poor chip shots - 4
Poor putts (proper poor ones) - 5
Poor sand shots - 1

19 bad shots i played today out of the 80 blows i went round in.

Makes one realise that there is still plenty room for improvement !!

Hendo, you are trying too hard. Single figures are in sight and you will get there this year. In your next medal try to play one shot at a time and do not think of the bigger picture (i.e. I need a nett whatever to get to 9.4). This just adds extra pressure for the whole of the round. Just do what you have been doing and you'll be there.