Have you ever been asked to produce a handicap cert?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of places say on their blurb, or website, that to play there you must provide a current valid handicap certificate.

However upon turning up and having one about my person I have yet to be asked to produce it. Upon offering to do so I am usually waved away with a chummy "don't worry about it".

Nevertheless I have also found myself stuck behind groups of hackers who obviously haven't a scooby, let alone a handicap cert.

So do many courses in your experience enforce this once prerequisite, or is the keenness for them to make money from green fees sufficient to ensure they turn a blind eye.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No, other than a couple of opens but I carry my county card with my CDH number on it so they can look me up if they want to, that's always been accepted.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only two places I have ever been asked to produce a certificate were the aforementioned Woodhall Spa and the Old course at Vilamoura.

Seems that it's more prestigious courses that still do this which is nice to know, however I haven't ever played a 'biggie' so that's probably why I've never been asked.

I guess I'm thinking about why a lot of good, but perhaps more everyday affordable courses, do say you need one but then never bother enforcing the rule. This can lead to all sorts of problems (in opens and invitation days etc.) with obvious first-timers out at busy times and causing hold ups.

And that's before we mention alleged 26 handicappers having a "great day" and coming in with 46 points :whistle:

Last edited:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
mostly opens and when picking up prizes at away comps,most unusual place was at MERE asked for it after i had taken my first shot by the starter after i hit a towering drive with just a hint of fade into position A ,looked at my cert and asked my name then shook his head.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't have one but never have been asked.

If its protection from damage reasoning I would just offer to show them a few shots.

If its for other reasons I have no answer other than "Pretty Please"

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been asked a few times but explained nicely what CDH numbers are about. Woodhall Spa should be the last place to asked for a cert as this was something introduced by England Golf and CONGU.

Time for some to move into the 21st century by the looks of things. Understand why they ask abroad but shouldn't ever be an issue in the UK.