Has environmental evangelism replaced the religious envagelism?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whenever anything related to environmental issues comes up, there are always those that are so forceful with there views and what you should be doing just as there used to be those so forthright in their religious views.
But now it seems there are (thankfully) fewer religious preachers, but they seem to be outnumbered by the environmental preachers.
Is this something you find?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
There are a set of sentiments on various subjects, if you don't comply with the party line, expect vilification, violence and insult.
As someone who somebody has tried to vilify (not that it bothered me as their comments where so inaccurate with no facts to back it up) you can get some earache from those who see themselves as holier than thou and then criticise anyone who doesn't agree with their viewpoint, at times in a quite extreme way.
You would have to be blind not to see the impact humans are having on the planet and I do think about how what we do impact on that. One person can't make a major difference but, as the phrase goes, every little bit helps.
I was putting out our grey (general waste) bin last night and I am so used to recycling that I feel guilty about anything I put into it but I am trying to do my best to keep it to a minimum.
As for the religious preachers, read about what is happening in Glasgow at the moment ref the marches. It isn't getting any better and I just can't understand that either. It's mass stupidity of the highest order.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As Robster says, we all know whats going on, and I dare say we've all seen list of animals that are now extinct or endangered. Beyond that, apart from putting the right things in the right bins I'm genuinely not interested in the detail behind the screeching, flag waving and preaching.

Do the various governments around the world really legislate enough? The USA have pulled back from it, and allegedly China, India and many of the developing nations are doing very little. Can the man in the street do any more? I don't think they can. Governments will do something along the lines of what the intelligent information tells them they should do, and that info won't come from the man in the street.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I guess the difference is Climate change is actually real.

Maybe you've just proved the OPs point! :)

Climate change is a cyclical process that started at the dawn of time. The current debate (or lack thereof) is the degree to which current issues are purely man-made and what can be done about it.

Regardless, the lack of responsible use of resources or care for the environment in some places is downright criminal. As is the "holier than thou" attitude of some folk on the subject.

Me, I have no qualifications on the subject at all, but can clearly see the loonies at work on both sides of the fence. :)

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess the difference is Climate change is actually real.

No-one can deny that the climate is changing, but the debate is - are we speeding up climate change or is it just the earth going through is natural fluctuations?

Around 15,000 years ago sheets of ice covered all of Antarctica, large parts of Europe, North America, and South America, and small areas in Asia. In North America they stretched over Greenland and Canada and parts of the northern United States. (copied and pasted from an article about pleistocene epoch).

There have also been 5 ice ages during the earths 4.6 billion years and it just so happens that our records of temperatures have started as we're coming out of one. I have a feeling that there are a lot of scientists keeping themselves in jobs by riding the climate change rollercoaster.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As someone who somebody has tried to vilify (not that it bothered me as their comments where so inaccurate with no facts to back it up) you can get some earache from those who see themselves as holier than thou and then criticise anyone who doesn't agree with their viewpoint, at times in a quite extreme way.
You would have to be blind not to see the impact humans are having on the planet and I do think about how what we do impact on that. One person can't make a major difference but, as the phrase goes, every little bit helps.
I was putting out our grey (general waste) bin last night and I am so used to recycling that I feel guilty about anything I put into it but I am trying to do my best to keep it to a minimum.
As for the religious preachers, read about what is happening in Glasgow at the moment ref the marches. It isn't getting any better and I just can't understand that either. It's mass stupidity of the highest order.

All to do with being a member of a tribe. Simply Them and Us, with We nowhere to be seen. Are the marches though not more to do with Irish Republicanism and Loyalism/Unionism - nothing actually to do with religion.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Environmental evangelism doesnt demand that you fear it, worship it, pray to it, give it half your money and if don't, you will burn in hell for eternity.

Sorry - that statement suggests a misunderstanding of Christian denominations - and that different Christian denominations can have significantly different beliefs and practices - albeit all linked by the common denominator of Christ (rather goes with the Christian territory).

What you list might apply to Roman Catholicism (of which I know not a lot) - or maybe in part to Anglicanism (again of which I know not a lot) - but in my denomination of what you list I recognise the words worship, prayer and give. In some part worship and prayer are the one and same thing - just add in a good dose of singing and giving (in a whole variety of ways and means) as best I can, on top of prayer, and that's worship.

Have your own beliefs about religion and Christianity - but please respect that what is for one denomination is so very much not for all.

As it happens - what you list would for me - be closer to the demands of environmental evangelism than for any thing to do with my relgious beliefs

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here is a tip for the climate deniers, you can buy some really cheap seaside property close to the Lincs/Yorks coast. ;)
You don't even need to pay any insurance on your property.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Got stopped by a clean air campaigner a few weeks ago and he was really pushy to the point of almost aggression because i asked one question , it was ,
If we do set up a clean air zone banning cars , buses and such how are we going to stop someone else's dirty air from coming in ?
He nearly blew up when he heard that one :unsure:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Got stopped by a clean air campaigner a few weeks ago and he was really pushy to the point of almost aggression because i asked one question , it was ,
If we do set up a clean air zone banning cars , buses and such how are we going to stop someone else's dirty air from coming in ?
He nearly blew up when he heard that one :unsure:

I suppose some may get emotional about the clean air argument, especially if they have lost a family member/loved one whos death was linked to air pollution.
If you were in their position, wouldn't you want cleaner air, especially as the population continues to rise so will the pollution.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I think anyone looking at the climate change debate, with an open mind, must realise that there have been tremendous changes in how the world has been affected by and since the Industrial Age , and by the increase in population.
They are not transient changes of nature.
The one thing about those that deny these alleged causes, is how much it is like bosses I knew .
You know them, - You point out a problem and offer and seek a decision. Boss doesn't like this and perceives it as aggravation. So the stock answer is
"Problem? What problem . There's no problem"

Likewise, as soon as the ( some) governments acknowledge a climate change problem, they know they will be asked " what are you going to do about it , then?"

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
I suppose some may get emotional about the clean air argument, especially if they have lost a family member/loved one whos death was linked to air pollution.
If you were in their position, wouldn't you want cleaner air, especially as the population continues to rise so will the pollution.

I do indeed want cleaner air , an isolated zone is very unlikely to make much difference in the grand scheme of things , however if we can get China,India and indeed the good old US of A to agree to stop spewing out tonnes of pollutants and Brazil to stop burning the Amazon, then count me in.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
We've gone from snowball earth to heat death earth, and the 'human' infestation of the planet is to blame.
Let's also make this clear. There are no humans, only a bipedal ape like mammal which for the last 200,000 years has proceeded to wreck the planet.
Cut down the forests, created harmful agriculture and industry, polluted the air and oceans.
And most of the damage has been done in the last 30 years.
It will soon be irreversible, but that will please the religious evangelists who want Jesus back.