Has anyone got a video clip

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Every so often I read comments about swing faults and cures for the slice and how it's important to move the body in the correct sequence to stop the slice.
One of the causes of the slice apparently is starting the downswing with the shoulders and not with the hips.
My question is has anyone got a video of someone starting their downswing with the shoulders please ?
Ta

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Id say in your video your shoulders follow your hips.
Try this......
Swing to the top of your backswing then stop.
Now, without moving your hips, try moving your shoulders into a downswing.
I'd suggest not many people do that

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Id say in your video your shoulders follow your hips.
Try this......
Swing to the top of your backswing then stop.
Now, without moving your hips, try moving your shoulders into a downswing.
I'd suggest not many people do that

thanks Bob my newest swing is in my sig. if you could have a quick look

i think i have lost the ott movement, but im not sure i have lost it in the right way if that makes sense, my shots aren't much better than they were wuith the OTT movement

i'll give your swing thought a go im pretty flexible

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
bob you should ask someone if they would mind doing a radical new swing movie.

a complete novice golfer, camera in the exact same place every time. record their swing every few months for 2 years and ghost the swings over each other to see the changes.i think it would be amazing to watch the progress.

im sure it can be done although it would take abit of computer wizardry!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The point I was trying to make was.....
People think they slice because they start the downswing with their shoulders. Not true in most cases.
In an effort to cure the out to in swing path, they try and swing more from the hips. This in turn throws the shoulders even more outside the line and it just gets worse.
Then they try and pull the arms down to their side. This move is ok but if done after the hips have started, all they do is pull the club down across the line..........bigger slice.
If you want to cure a slice by starting the downswing from the hips, by all means do so BUT dont let your shoulders follow them. Keep your shoulders square as long as you can. That will stop the out to in downswing.

Of course, only my opinion and I'm sure other experts will disagree.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you want to cure a slice by starting the downswing from the hips, by all means do so BUT dont let your shoulders follow them. Keep your shoulders square as long as you can. That will stop the out to in downswing.

Seems pretty fine to me! Though the really flexible (no me!) could end up turning the hips too far and getting 'stuck'. So 'as long as you need' might be better than 'as long as you can'.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I wonder what bobmac003/002 & 001 are like?!

Tim, what a difference!!

thanks alex im really pleased how my new swing is looking

i just have to ingrain it now, i go to the range at least once a week to stop slipping back into my old OTT ways

Last edited: