Harry Rednap

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can't believe HR would jump ship from Pompey to the Totts. What has he got to gain? (apart from a shed full of cash). Pompey were solid high mid table, FA cup winners, in Europe, with a nice experienced team, and he jumps ship to a relegation battle, with a bunch of serial under achievers. Can't see him staying there more than 12 months. If they stay up, they will find someone else, if they go down, he will be sacked. Their managerial track record is not good, much like their playing record.

And Jon, I do want them to stay in the prem, a rivalry is no good if you never play each other.

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
TBH, whilst I was exactly the same as you at first when I actually thought about it I don't think he could have taken Pompy much further than he has. Can you realistically see pompy breaking the top 4? with their stadium? I can't.

Spurs on the other hand, have been touted as 'the' team to break into the top 4. They have the support, they have the income to be a very big challengers. Even though it looks mad with the current positions in the prem, in the long term I think spurs have a lot more potential than pompy.

But thats just my opinion!

NotQuiteTiger

Club Champion
Visit site
I saw an interview with Harry and he said that money was tight and that they might have to sell in January. After builiding a potentially really good side, how annoyed must he have been to see it be sold from underneath him? I certinly don't think they will go down. In January he needs to buy some steel in midfield and he obviously needs a strikeforce (Crouch & Defoe?). They also need Ledley King to stay fit for more than a week.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We'll have to start thinking up some different jokes now they've got 5 points.........

I think its a decent move for him. As Sneds says, i don't think Portsmouthcan get much higher than they have been and Spurs, disasterous start aside, have probably more chance of getting into Europe more often.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Spurs going down, ha ha ha ha ha.

Redknapp was a spurs fan as a boy so no wonder he took the job, he doesnt exactly need to chase the money either, if he was like that he would have gone to newcastle when queen-kev left.

Redknapp loved it at pompey, close to his mansion on sandbanks and he was all set to retire down there, it took something special to lure him away and that something was spurs.

Lets see him go and raid pompey now, "jermain defoe, he's a yiddo, jermain defoe, he's a yiddo"

Just as long as he doesnt bring scumpbell back to spurs, there would be a riot. Some things are unforgivable.

The only negative with Redknapp for me is that he is slightly tainted from his time managing west sham.

B

birdieman

Harry Redknap is a good manager but not up with the top Premiership gaffers.
Spurs were doing just fine under Martin Jol but club boards seem to think the grass is always greener. Jol is now flying high with Hamburg in Germany.
Tottenham have, for me, always lacked steel in midfield, they play an attractive attacking game but lack toughness.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Harry Redknap is a good manager but not up with the top Premiership gaffers.
Spurs were doing just fine under Martin Jol but club boards seem to think the grass is always greener. Jol is now flying high with Hamburg in Germany.
Tottenham have, for me, always lacked steel in midfield, they play an attractive attacking game but lack toughness .

Redknapp has already identified that as a weakness so that will change In January.

As for the fella that thinks we'll go down...i would have agreed if they had kept that clown Ramos in charge much longer. We are 5 points off 12th with 31 games to go. Are you suggesting there aren't 3 worse teams in the league than us? We just needed a manager who the players could understand,someone who sends them out with a game plan. Now we have that.

I see a big change in fortunes for us now. About time.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
HR is a bit of a magician, and an old fashioned manager at that, who I think Spurs will resond well to. I think it is sad for Pompey to lose both their manager, and probably half the team come January, but I just don't see him as the future. He has been brought in to keep them up, which he will do, but come next season he will be sacked as they look for someone more glamorous (Mourinho anyone?).

As for Pompey, yes they have probably peaked, but I thought HR was coasting to retirement on the south coast (with half of Arsenal's old boys (was wondering if Ljungberg was going to join him too)). Why he feels the need to re enter the cauldron of high pressure management at this stage in his career is beyond me.

Apparently he has offered a job to Jamie, but luckily for Spurs (if not for the rest of us) he has turned it down.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You jammy so and so. I would love to be there. I hope it is a good game, but I wouldn't be at all suprised to see Spurs nick it 1 nil on a counter. Our defence is still ropey at the moment, and opposing keepers seem to find form against the Gooners. I shall have to watch it on the box. Pity Ramos wasn't still in charge, I had been quite fancying our chances of a 7-0.