Harrington and McIlroy

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Found it last night within an article about how Spieth is under-rated. The article / interview is excellent - shows a lot of vulnerability to both guys I think, Harrington in particular, and a good insight to the things we don't see.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Half way through whilst on the school run, will finish when little legs go up the wooden stairs.

Just seen theyre paired to romorrow and Friday.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting read.

Didn't realize Rory isolated himself so much from the rest of the players.

Felt like PH and the Irish boys had nothing to do with Rory, quite sad really.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A very interesting read. It times it seemed like they were quite friendly - Harrington even having been at Rory's wedding - but yet if they wanted to see each other Harrington's caddie would set it up with McIlroy's manager, rather than them just speaking to each other. Whereas Tiger drops Rory a text to arrange a game and it's no bother.

As others have said, McIlroy seems to be living in bit of a bubble rather than mixing with many other pros, much the same as Tiger when he was in his prime. It's got to come down to what's best for the individual of course but, as I said, they seem to be friendly enough yet Harrington was apparently very nervous about the interview, which seems very strange.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really interesting read. Found it quite sad that Rory didn't mix, kept it very professional and fairly guarded too.

I liked Harrington's attitude but like he said he's had his time and did things similar to Rory during his glory years but maybe on a smaller stage.

Rory seems a proper golf nerd, knowing all the results and when he and other's played certain tournements etc.

Enjoy interviews like that, nice to get to know the players a little bit more and hear what they have to say.

U

User62651

I like Harrington's honesty and frankness in saying he over-achieved with his 3 majors whereas 4 majors for McIlroy would be failure if he didn't win any more. Harrington's putting in his prime was Speith-like, he was so good on the 4-8 footers.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brilliant read. Thanks for sharing. Rory comes across as having that 'cold and ruthless' edge that I think a lot of elite professional sportsmen have.

Do you think if he chilled out a bit and didn't get up at 5 every morning he would do better ? I'm not sure.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant read. Thanks for sharing. Rory comes across as having that 'cold and ruthless' edge that I think a lot of elite professional sportsmen have.

Do you think if he chilled out a bit and didn't get up at 5 every morning he would do better ? I'm not sure.

I'm not sure too. I think that's just how he works and others may be similar, get up and get your work done - no point stretching it out over a full day. I'm sure it'll be to do with other commitments that he may have plus he has more time to spend with his wife and family then too.

U

User62651

I guess if he has a late tee time of say 3.00pm in The Open, if he does get up at 5.00am then he'll do his routine then go and nap for an hour or two.

Rory maybe shouldn't believe the hype so much. Golf is a bubble world, I reckon if he walked down an average High Street few would even recognise him, never mind bother him.

He's one of several top young players now, not the only one anymore.