Hands move first

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Iv been seeing a few people lately just moving the hands forward very slightly before the swing starts to release and body tension so Iv tried it and it works a treat BUT will this cause any long term affects ?

I.e my hands lagging Behind to much ???

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
called a forward press and used as a trigger - quite common and, unless it becomes accentuated, shouldn't cause any problems; a lot of people have used it their whole playing lives!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Iv been seeing a few people lately just moving the hands forward very slightly before the swing starts to release and body tension so Iv tried it and it works a treat BUT will this cause any long term affects ?

I.e my hands lagging Behind to much ???

Funny you should mention this; the Pro at West Middlesex 20 years ago (Ian Harris) used to recommend this. "Forward press" - quite safe as a trigger. Doesn't seem popular these days, but lots of players use it well. :)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its safe so long as your hands are level with the ball at address.....If you address the ball with the hands forward normally and then forward press you may well cause problems....

Its why i dont do it!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Was discussing this today actually... how can Mickelson, as the most blatant example I can think of, putt consistently with such a large forward press immediately before his putter swing?!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was discussing this today actually... how can Mickelson, as the most blatant example I can think of, putt consistently with such a large forward press immediately before his putter swing?!

I've wondered this. Hinge and hold -putter style!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
did i read that he has his putter loft changed so he has to do that forward press to bring down the loft. no idea why he does it though!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Its safe so long as your hands are level with the ball at address.....If you address the ball with the hands forward normally and then forward press you may well cause problems....

Its why i dont do it!

I have been playing my irons with my hands forward of the clubhead for a while now. Yes,it delofts the club and I have never struck the ball better. The flight, as you would expect is lower which helps at my place where the wind swirls in the trees but the main thing is that I now come down steeper on the ball, strike it sweeter and take a small divot. I find that, as you should, it works at it's best with a slow smooth swing and when I see the ball leave the ground and follow through with good rhythm.

I don't forward press though, but I think if the forward press achieves a better swing then I'm all for it