handicaps

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to a mass survey done by some American golf association. When a average amateur golfer reaches the age of 35. He will not reduced his handicap by more than 3 shot. Whatever he does in the rest of his golfing life.
Sweeping statement, but wonder how much truth there is in it?

D

Deleted member 15344

What about people that start after the age of 35 ?

Seems very much a sweeping statement

and i certainly know a fair number of people iver that age that have reduced their handicap by more than 3 shots

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was playing against a county player last week and she stood on our 16th and measured the corner and said "that's going to need all I've got. Oh to be 20 again" and talked about loss of distance. I felt fortunate to have taken the game up at 43 and hitting it further than ever! Oh...and handicap still falling :thup:

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm 49 and have reduced mine by 4 shots in the last 6 weeks.. And I think I could get it down by at least 1 more this year.

My mate at work who is a few years older than me went from 18 to 12 last year....

Strange stat that one!!!!

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
OP is referring to a report that talks about averages, and from my experience I can well believe it, although there will of course be many individual cases that buck the trend..

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think most golfers find their level, irrespective of age, and then hover around that till old age really sets in.... I hope.

19thagain

Head Pro
Visit site
I accept the statement talks about averages but the Seniors Section can often throw up unusual improvements in handicaps due to newly retired having more golfing time.

It is not unusual for the club golfer who played the odd week end, now retired, honing his/her game by a daily dose of golf and much of it competitive, with the handicap getting a facelift by a few strokes.

D

Deleted member 15344

OP is referring to a report that talks about averages, and from my experience I can well believe it, although there will of course be many individual cases that buck the trend..

Do you happen to know the full break down of the report

And i guess its just based for US golfers ?

For example is their average age lower than ours ?

D

Deleted member 15344

No, I don't I'm afraid, but I'd be surprised if there was much difference between US & UK

Do you think ?

I wonder if theirs is a little younger - off to google to see what they say :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Lots of reports on the net but it appears i have it the wrong way around -

Average age in UK is 41

Average age in US is 46

Im surprised tbh

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Typical US generalisation. I've come down from 14-10 (back to 11 at the moment). Going further down too
From 14 to 11 that's 3 shot is it not? Really hope to do get a lot lower. You've put enough work in to do it. I wish you all the luck in the world. But at the moment your spot on in the survey results.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
According to a mass survey done by some American golf association. When a average amateur golfer reaches the age of 35. He will not reduced his handicap by more than 3 shot. Whatever he does in the rest of his golfing life.
Sweeping statement, but wonder how much truth there is in it?
I reduced my handicap from 19 to 10 after I retired from work at the age of 63! :)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can totally believe it. OK, I've brought mine down a lot after 35 but I was older than that before playing "seriously". I hope to prove myself wrong but would be surprised to take a further 3 shots off where I am now.

I also recall hitting it further in my twenties than I can now....... but OMG it could go anywhere back then!!!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i wouldn't say that it would have much to do with age, much more to do with the lifestyle choices associated with a certain age.

applying it to myself, the cut off at which i wasn't really able to improve was once i had children. i dropped 8 shots from 35-37, back up two once the wee man arrived.

i'd say on average most people have kids by their mid 30's at which point finding time to practice and play is seriously curtailed.