Handicap reduction on a no return?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Question: Can you receive a handicap cut for a no return in a competition?
I had a good card going today, but had a mare on one hole late in the back nine resulting in a no return and then proceeded to finish well. Absolutely gutted.
The only saving grace would be if stableford adjustment counts on a N/R. The card was of course recorded on the computer with scores at each hole entered.

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes - your Handicap is adjusted by your Stableford score so you can still get a cut

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm always surprised how many players don't know this.
Last weekend I played with someone who had a 10 on the first and was talking of an NR after 1 hole.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s great, thanks.
i knew it would be adjusted if I returned a score, just wasn’t sure if the stableford adjustment was used for no returns.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have seen many reductions from NR and DQ cards, usually surprises the player.

That is why CONGU requires your scores to continue to be recorded if you NR on one hole.

Last edited:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Not many people actually know it though!
I treat every strokeplay round like a Stableford with that knowledge but will putt out for that yearly 12 that I might get on a hole!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't help feeling that the wording used in the original post contributes to the confusion here.

If you return your scorecard for the competition you haven't made a no return.

Your scorecard may contain a no return for individual holes which, if the competition is a medal round, will result in a disqualification from the competition but your card remains acceptable for the calculation of CSS and any appropriate handicap adjustments based on the stableford score.
A NR is a failure to return a card in a competition; and without acceptable reason (to the handicap sec) you are rewarded with an increase of 0.1 to your handicap record (as well as any other sanctions your club have in place (based on the many posts on the subject made here).

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
There should be advice given to every new golfer, in a medal it’s OK to NR a hole. You should always try to play on and return a card if possible.

Unless you are ill or unable to play you should make your best efforts to return a card.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can't help feeling that the wording used in the original post contributes to the confusion here.

If you return your scorecard for the competition you haven't made a no return.

Your scorecard may contain a no return for individual holes which, if the competition is a medal round, will result in a disqualification from the competition but your card remains acceptable for the calculation of CSS and any appropriate handicap adjustments based on the stableford score.
A NR is a failure to return a card in a competition; and without acceptable reason (to the handicap sec) you are rewarded with an increase of 0.1 to your handicap record (as well as any other sanctions your club have in place (based on the many posts on the subject made here).
Which is why I was careful to say in my OP that I had recorded my scores for each hole in the computer. However, the HowDidIDo site records it as an N/R.
Maybe there is a need for different terminology between not returning a score for a hole(s) and not returning a card.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Waiting for first person to come along and say surely a 10 or a 12 is causing slow play. i have had this conversation a fair few times with me PPS. My advice, finish off the hole 👍

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Waiting for first person to come along and say surely a 10 or a 12 is causing slow play. i have had this conversation a fair few times with me PPS. My advice, finish off the hole 

Racking up a 10 does not necessarily cause slow play. Provided the player plays provisionals as necessary play can proceed without undue delay. One of our players recorded a 10 in the medal last week. There was no holdup and he was chopped 0.3 due to stableford adjustment.