Handicap question.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
As most saw from my post on Sunday i threw my round away on the 18th.....I NR'd this hole as much as it killed me to sign for it but just checking my handicap tonight i didnt get 0.1 back......
For the record i hate getting back 0.1's...

Just wondering why?

D

Deleted Member 1156

What was your score like for the rest of the round? Only thing I can think of is the 18th has been reduced to a nett double bogey and this put you in your buffer zone?

Can't think of any other reason TBH

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
As most saw from my post on Sunday i threw my round away on the 18th.....I NR'd this hole as much as it killed me to sign for it but just checking my handicap tonight i didnt get 0.1 back......
For the record i hate getting back 0.1's...

Just wondering why?

reductions only?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was 83 shots to the 18th D4S...
Thats 12 over....

I was just checking there again.....Seems your on the ball.....Nett DB would have me at 89 shots......
CSS was 71+18=89.......
May handicap at 71=15=86....So thats 0.3 difference which is the buffer....If im right.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because there is a world of difference between completing your card but missing the buffer and handing in a no return.
If someone has shot a half decent round and simply screwed up by shooting 3 balls OOB/lost and not wanting to go back to the tee then adding one NR to their card is no different to having a blob in a Stableford comp .... Remember that handicaps are calculated with Stableford adjustments anyway, so it makes no difference.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because there is a world of difference between completing your card but missing the buffer and handing in a no return.

If you fail to score on a hole in a Medal, the CONGU requirements are that you should continue to record scores on all the other holes. It is perfectly possible - and does happen from time to time - that you can N/R because of one hole and have your handicap reduced because of the scores on the other 17 holes.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you fail to score on a hole in a Medal, the CONGU requirements are that you should continue to record scores on all the other holes. It is perfectly possible - and does happen from time to time - that you can N/R because of one hole and have your handicap reduced because of the scores on the other 17 holes.

I'm not disputing that but how many times have you seen someone NR then NOT record their scores for the rest of the round? It happens a lot.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not disputing that but how many times have you seen someone NR then NOT record their scores for the rest of the round? It happens a lot.

The point I am making is that there is a requirement to continue recording scores. If you are marking someone's card who has N/R'd a hole, you need to tell him that you will continue to record his scores. He may well tell you to bog off or refuse to putt out on subsequent holes but you will at least have tried to do things correctly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

That's always my approach to Strokeplay comps.
1. Win the comp by having the fewest strokes. When that's unlikely -
2. Play for Handicap decrease, because Handicap is Stableford.
3. The last Par 3 for the 2's comp is 15.
4. Score 'better than 6 points' on the last 3 holes.
5. Birdie, or better, on the last.

So there's always a reason to maintain focus!

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org

At my club if the computer (Handicap Master) sees a no score or even a really bad hole on a stroke play card it reverts to stableford and will cut or add .1 or buffer accordingly.

I know 1 guy who recently shot nett 72 so 1 over par but had 2 very bad holes which added about 8 shots over his handicap and was cut 2 full shots.

If you work out what stableford points you would have had then check if it was in your buffer.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
At my club if the computer (Handicap Master) sees a no score or even a really bad hole on a stroke play card it reverts to stableford and will cut or add .1 or buffer accordingly.

I know 1 guy who recently shot nett 72 so 1 over par but had 2 very bad holes which added about 8 shots over his handicap and was cut 2 full shots.

If you work out what stableford points you would have had then check if it was in your buffer.

examples like this are why the current system uses stableford points system and rounds scores automatically in the past it would of been left to h\cap discreation to apply a general play cut.

think youve find your answer kid despite your last hole blow up sounds as if you were in buffer.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just one additional point.

If you N/R due to injury or illness on the course always make a note on the card as there should not be a .1 addition to your h/c. I had this situation and asked the EGU when my club didnt omit my card when I hurt my hip mid round, and the EGU said that it should be standard practice to not enter the card through the computer when injury forces a retirement.

I eventually got the .1 back and played the whole winter off 11 instead of 12

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just one additional point.

If you N/R due to injury or illness on the course always make a note on the card as there should not be a .1 addition to your h/c. I had this situation and asked the EGU when my club didnt omit my card when I hurt my hip mid round, and the EGU said that it should be standard practice to not enter the card through the computer when injury forces a retirement.

I eventually got the .1 back and played the whole winter off 11 instead of 12

just one clarification - your score up until the point of the injury would be considered in the above situation ie if you were 10 over after 9 and broke your leg on the 10th you wouldn't (shouldn't) get the 0.1 back!