handicap problem

jameshayes43

Visit site
i havent played in a golf competition for 3-4 years due to work commitments at the weekend, so my handicap has remained unchanged throughout this period. I am consistently playing to 5-7 nowadays though so 13 does not reflect my standard or play and its starting to get embarassing.

so my question is what do I need to do? My club is full of fuddy-duddy old guys and after questioning the guy in charge of the handicap committee he told me there was nothing he could do. I am considering joining another club nearby and getting a handicap there, but the problem is obviously that you can't have two CONGU handicaps and i like the course i currently play at so don't want to leave but i will if i have to. Are there any other alternatives?
I've seen online you can buy some for next to nothing but I expect they arent worth the paper they're written on

suggestions anyone?

golfstick

Head Pro
Visit site
COuld you not go into 2 or 3 comps and absolutly spank them all? surely your would be knocking in some pretty decent rounds and cuts tend to be quite big when your handicap lies around 13. It would take long to shave it down?

Alternatively, do they not have an expiry date when you have been out of action for such a long period of time? could you not explain this to them?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, the idea that there is "nothing they can do" is tosh.
But, expecting your club to put you off 5-7 without proof is also a bit far fetched.
You have two choices; play in some comps and get cut or hand in some cards to prove your point.
If you handed in 3 cards (proper games played of a measured course etc.etc.) that showed you could play to 5-7, I think they would have to take some notice. Then again, I play to this (almost) quite regularly these days with mates and on other courses, but NOT in the monthly medal.....

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you do not play many comps, you could also put in some supplementary cards - at my club you can simply register your intention to put in a card at the pro shop before teeing off, and then it counts for handicap purposes.

But I would go with the consensus and try a few comps and see if you really have a 5-7 handicap. You may be surprised. It is one thing to play off 5-7 during friendly games, and another with a card and pencil in your hand.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
In my world, I'd make it wholly acceptable for any member to go and play a round off the medal tees and hand in the card for h'cap purposes. The logic in me says, if a player returns a low score, just cut him to that score.....and let him work out how many darn weekend comps he's going to have to enter to get back.
Everyone wants to be off less, it's just mad vanity and ego i.m.o. Better to play off a figure representative of a good day off the white tees all year round (approx) rather than a great day with a few mates on a summers day having played lots of games in 3 weeks.

If I was a secretary, there'd be a sign on my door saying "Please return any card you like to get cut, and I'll cut you......that makes one less player for me to worry about next weekend medal".......

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely if you haven't played in a comp for 3-4 years, your h/cap will be inactive so you cant enter any comps.

But how do you get it active if you can't enter comps? At my place you can enter and play the medals but you can't win them until you've re-activated your handicap by putting in the 3 cards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Your handicap should be lapsed (or inactive) so you'd have to put three cards in. At my place you can enter competitions and play but can't win the event irrespective of how low you shoot but the card obviously counts as a qualifier. Get the three back in and see where you are

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely if you haven't played in a comp for 3-4 years, your h/cap will be inactive so you cant enter any comps.

But how do you get it active if you can't enter comps? At my place you can enter and play the medals but you can't win them until you've re-activated your handicap by putting in the 3 cards.

I meant you have to play the comps to get your 3 cards but you cant enter it to win it.

Your h/cap guy is talking utter rubbish when he says there's nothing he can do. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Next time you see him, tell him to read rule 21 of CONGU.
Quote from Congu.
21. Supplementary Scores

"A substantial number of Members do not return sufficient scores in the period between Annual Reviews to maintain a handicap that reasonably reflects their current ability. This may in part be due to:

Work or family commitments preventing participation in competitions."

It goes on to say

"Supplementary Scores have been introduced to provide players in the above situations and the like an alternative format in which to submit scores for handicap purposes"
They must be
a) Over a measured course
b) your home course
c) up to 10 per year
d) You must tell someone before you start you are playing a supplementary card.
e) It must be medal or stableford.

This rule does not help you get a handicap, just enables you to maintain it once you have one if you can't play at weekends.
Imo, you should be able to hand in 3 cards of either yellow or white tees as long as your cards are marked and signed by a member who also has a h/cap and you are not in Cat I. Then it would have to be off white tees in a comp.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Social Play v Medal Play is totally different.

IMO, you should have to play in 3 Medals with your 'inactive' handicap, with no standing in the results, to re-activate and start reducing it to what you feel it should be.
However, in my experience, your usual 5-7 over will probably transpire into a 10-12 over with a damned Card in your hand, leaving you about a shot more than you 'feel' like you should be.

Case in point - I played 'socially' last Thursday and was 3 over Gross after 14 holes.
Played the Medal 2 days later, and was 11 over Par, and indeed have'nt been 'under' my HC in Comp play all year.

I feel like I should be a 7/8 Handicapper, but my Medal scores dont show that. It's been debated many times on here, but in reality, your HC should be reflective of a good day off Whites, not something you can repeat very regularly and normally.