Handicap certificate for Sunningdale

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
I am after some reassurance - I am due to play both courses at Sunningdale later this year. I am not a member of a club at present but have been for many years when I was back in Wales.

I do not have a handicap certificate from a club as a result of not being a member anywhere. But I do have a golf shake handicap certificate and plastic membership card with my details on and my handicap (which is 10).

I update Golfshake after each round I play and the certificate has all the rounds I have played this year detailed on it with dates, name of course and score - then final handicap. It all looks very official and is signed by Golfshakes handicap secretary BUT i appreciate it's not as official as one from a club of which you are a member.

Do you think I would encounter any problems with my Golfshake handicap certificate and membership card? Will it be accepted?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Played it a few times and never been asked for handicap.

As long as you turn up looking like someone who knows etiquette etc, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you really want reassurance, ring the Pro Shop/Club and discuss. I'm sure they'll understand!

Different at 'the Pay and Play down the road' (Wentworth West) where you will require a handicap cert - except for corporate days!

Hope you enjoy the day! It a pretty magic place, with some wonderful holes and views! It's quite a debate as to which is the better (more majestic) course. The views from the 10 of the Old and 5th Green/6th Tee are just sublime!

Last edited:
S

Snelly

Completely agree with Foxholer.

I have played there a dozen times and never been asked for a HC Cert.

It is a beautiful part of our golfing landscape in the UK. A special treat. You are very lucky.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was browsing as well as the membership at my Muni doesn't come with a handicap it is extra and I saw this website, https://secure.golfclubgb.co.uk/ not too expensive for an official handicap.

I'm not sure just how 'official' this handicap might be. If for example you want to play in open competitions, you will almost certainly require a CDH number. Probably OK if you just need a handicap to get onto courses though.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was browsing as well as the membership at my Muni doesn't come with a handicap it is extra and I saw this website, https://secure.golfclubgb.co.uk/ not too expensive for an official handicap.

It is NOT an official handicap you do get a plastic card much the same as the golf shake one and it is accepted in many places (joined my nephew so he could play the old course) but you won't get away with it in any opens.

JakeWS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is NOT an official handicap you do get a plastic card much the same as the golf shake one and it is accepted in many places (joined my nephew so he could play the old course) but you won't get away with it in any opens.

Fair enough glad I didn't part with my hard earned.

TheAlbatross

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks a lot everyone for the reassuring comments. I am very excited about the whole experience and didn't want the handicap certificate issue hanging over me in the run-up.

A question for people who have experienced a day at Sunningdale - what is the atmosphere and feel like around the clubhouse? Relaxed, stuffy, ostentatious, welcoming?

I will be there all day as i'm playing both courses and intend on enjoying breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea in the clubhouse. Is it the type of club where you feel and are treated like a member for the day?

Also, i can't see any reference to their practice facilities - i assume there's a range?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No contest. Sunningdale is a long way ahead in every sense.

Absolutely!

But if you want better value for 36 holes, The Berkshire is the best Summer Day's Golf by a long shot! 2 excellent courses; long enough to be a great challenge; short enough that 36 holes isn't a slog; and the Lunch is top notch - better than Sunningdale imo (though Sunningdale halfway house is legendary!).

As for the Sunningdale clubhouse atmosphere...just the relaxed formality you would want imo! Nothing overly stuffy, but certainly more Library than local Tavern!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Interesting to read that the men's & women's maximum handicap limit differ by 6 shots. Anyone know why that might be?

S

Snelly

A question for people who have experienced a day at Sunningdale - what is the atmosphere and feel like around the clubhouse? Relaxed, stuffy, ostentatious, welcoming?

I will be there all day as i'm playing both courses and intend on enjoying breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea in the clubhouse. Is it the type of club where you feel and are treated like a member for the day?

Also, i can't see any reference to their practice facilities - i assume there's a range?

Yes there is a range. Adjacent to the 1st tee of the New. Tokens are from the pro shop I think but I am not absolutely sure as i don't think I have ever used it.

The clubhouse is fantastic with a proper members club feel. You are made very welcome and the service, food and setting are all excellent. There is a sensible but not overly formal dress code and it is a very relaxing place to spend time. The only place you cannot go in the clubhouse as a visitor is the members bar but this isn't a problem as the main bar is great and has everything you could need or want.