Handicap Cards

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Somehow I didn't play enough qualifying rounds to keep my handicap last year so need to put in 3 new cards to get a new handicap. :oops:

I know, my fault, but would have been nice for the club to give me a heads up beforehand.

Quick question. I'm a member at 2 clubs. Do I need 3 cards from the same club ? And if I do then do they need to be from my nominated home club ?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Somehow I didn't play enough qualifying rounds to keep my handicap last year so need to put in 3 new cards to get a new handicap. :oops:

I know, my fault, but would have been nice for the club to give me a heads up beforehand.

Quick question. I'm a member at 2 clubs. Do I need 3 cards from the same club ? And if I do then do they need to be from my nominated home club ?

The 3 cards you submit won't be giving you a "new" handicap. The submitted cards can be from 18-hole or 9-hole qualifiers or Supplementaries at either course. They will be processed into your record in the normal way and your Home Club committee can either accept the adjusted handicap as "competition" or change it if there are circumstances that would warrant a change.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As Rosecott says, it is not a new handicap. Providing you are a member of a club, your handicap cannot be lost or expire. All that has happened is the status has lost its 'c' or Competition Status. You can reset the status by returning three qualifying cards.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 3 cards you submit won't be giving you a "new" handicap. The submitted cards can be from 18-hole or 9-hole qualifiers or Supplementaries at either course. They will be processed into your record in the normal way and your Home Club committee can either accept the adjusted handicap as "competition" or change it if there are circumstances that would warrant a change.

Ah thanks. I might have misunderstood the pro at my non-home club.

He seemed to say I'd need to submit 3 cards and then I'd get a new handicap. I assumed he meant just like when you first apply for a handicap.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah thanks. I might have misunderstood the pro at my non-home club.

He seemed to say I'd need to submit 3 cards and then I'd get a new handicap. I assumed he meant just like when you first apply for a handicap.
Confusion is possible all round.

If the club's (either) permit playing in comps without a (c) status handicap then you can return the 3 scores that way, alternatively you can submit supplemental cards.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you submit the 3 cards the handicap committee should carry out a review before reinstating competition status so you could end up with a different handicap.
(CONGU Clause 26.3)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Why would you think the club should give you a heads up?

surely any self respecting club member with a handicap knows they have to put in 3 cards a year to keep and active handicap

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I said it was my fault and didn’t say the club should of. Just said it would have been nice to get a heads up.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why would you think the club should give you a heads up?

surely any self respecting club member with a handicap knows they have to put in 3 cards a year to keep and active handicap

In fairness I may need to check mine, joined a club in August and suprised my handicap was still being shown as competitive. I've put in two more comps but assumed I had until end of March for the third thinking it would run on the golfing year rather than calendar.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
In fairness I may need to check mine, joined a club in August and suprised my handicap was still being shown as competitive. I've put in two more comps but assumed I had until end of March for the third thinking it would run on the golfing year rather than calendar.

our comps stop in Oct, so only have April to Oct to play comps, so ours is Calendar year. to maintain a handicap all you have to do is put in 3 cards

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Question - anyone know if you can put in supplementary cards over 9 holes?

My course does run 9 hole competitions most months and we have a layout to play 1 to 5 then 13 to 16.
So assume it has a card with SSS etc for those 9 holes.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

My course does run 9 hole competitions most months and we have a layout to play 1 to 5 then 13 to 16.
I think you can, if memory serves me right Brian M got his handicap with just 9 hole cards (at an 18 hole course )

D

Deleted member 15344

As long as the 9 holes has a SSS assigned to it then yes

And

It’s calender year for everyone

Currently your handicap runs from 1st Jan through to 31st Dec - you need to get 54 holes of competitive cards in during that period - if not then the Handicap stops being “competitive “ - you then need to enter 54 holes in again to regain C status

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As long as the 9 holes has a SSS assigned to it then yes

And

It’s calender year for everyone

Currently your handicap runs from 1st Jan through to 31st Dec - you need to get 54 holes of competitive cards in during that period - if not then the Handicap stops being “competitive “ - you then need to enter 54 holes in again to regain C status

Thanks. Next question.

Could you enter a 9 hole supplementary or a 9 hole medal and play the full course? But obviously only mark your card at the 9 holes in play?

I'd guess that is not allowed as in my scenario you would have to play holes 6 - 12 before playing your final 4 scoring holes. Would be deemed as practising on the course.