Handicap adjustments

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm tracking my handicap with an online tool as I'm not a member of a club yet.

I submitted 3 rounds and it gave me a handicap of 24.3 which sounds about right.

I've just submitted last nights round and it's kept me at 24.3, though according to my manual calcs I think i should get a 1.2 cut.

I shot 93 gross, 89 adjusted (my 4 triple bogeys reduced to doubles), minus the SSS of 68, for 21 gross score. 3 shots below handicap so 3*0.4 (cat 4) should be a 1.2 cut.

Am i correct or is there a reason why its kept me at the same handicap. Was thinking it may be because i've only entered 4 rounds total... or i may be completely misunderstanding something???

I'm using the Today's Golfer Handicap Tracker so thought it should be accurate.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm tracking my handicap with an online tool as I'm not a member of a club yet.

I submitted 3 rounds and it gave me a handicap of 24.3 which sounds about right.

I've just submitted last nights round and it's kept me at 24.3, though according to my manual calcs I think i should get a 1.2 cut.

I shot 93 gross, 89 adjusted (my 4 triple bogeys reduced to doubles), minus the SSS of 68, for 21 gross score. 3 shots below handicap so 3*0.4 (cat 4) should be a 1.2 cut.

Am i correct or is there a reason why its kept me at the same handicap. Was thinking it may be because i've only entered 4 rounds total... or i may be completely misunderstanding something???

I'm using the Today's Golfer Handicap Tracker so thought it should be accurate.

When you adjusted the triples did you adjust them to nett triples rather than gross? If not that would be your answer.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Triple bogeys are not automatically reduced to doubles. It depends where you would get shots in a stableford competition. Scores are rounded down to nett double bogeys for handicap calculations.

Edit: When you did your 3 cards, all triples would have been adjusted to doubles because you hadn't yet got a handicap.....SI is meaningless at that point.

Last edited:

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Once you have your handicap, it's best to work out h/cap adjustments from your stableford score as that will automatically take into account the holes you receive shots on etc. Usually anything over 36 points will result in a cut (depending on SSS)

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Ah I think i get it now. For some reason I'd assumed that all triples or worse were adjusted to double on an ongoing basis, but can clearly see this isn't the case now. Turns out I shot net 69 which is one over SSS hence no change in the handicap.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Woody, gonna look up stableford scoring and maybe use this in the future.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I have another question. Do 9 hole rounds ever contribute towards your handicap? I'm presuming not beacuase its obvs more difficult to play good golf for a long period of time.