Handicap adjustment request

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
All,

Is there a way I can request a handicap cut through my club.

The background is I have been playing very well recently but due to a lack of time I have been unable to enter any recent comps such as medals etc. I am a fast improving golfer. A few months ago I entered the club match play knockout comp. as I have said I playing very well and yesterday played a stormer. My playing handicap is 24 but yesterday off the back pegs I played to a 17 handicap (14 handicap on the front nine).

I am very uncomfortable with such a difference between 24 and 17 handicap. What made it worse yesterday I could see my opponents face as I hit better shots than he could (he was an 18 handicap) and even without the six shots he had to give me I would have beaten him.

Can I request a cut, I have another few comps coming up and am hitting bandit territory and don't like this feeling. I would rather lose of a 17 handicap than win off a 20 let alone a 24.

Many thanks

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
That was my first full 18 holes for a month, supplementary is the way forward but the only time I get to play a full 18 are the match play comps.

It's been weighing on my mind so much since yesterday I have even considered withdrawing from the comps until my handicap becomes a bit fairer.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just enter the comp and take the cut. stick two good scores in and trigger an ESR. then you handicap will tumble.

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about, if you are as good as you say you are the handicap will soon catch up to you. Posting a good medal score is much more difficult than winning in matchplay, its biased towards the higher handicap anyway.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
All,

Is there a way I can request a handicap cut through my club.

In a word - No. Handicap adjustments are based almost exclusively on evidence - qualifiers and supplementaries. Performance in other forms of play such as matchplay can be used as additional evidence but cannot be used on their own.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldnt even worry about it.
It will come down when it comes down, i.e when you play well in a comp.

Prime example, I played with a new member today ( a good friend that joined after alot of nagging from me). The pressure really got to him on his handicap cards. He was given a 28 handicap. Today I signed his card for a +14 round and 50 points. He will get bandit shouts yes, but its his first year and everyone has to start somewhere.

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
I wouldnt even worry about it.
It will come down when it comes down, i.e when you play well in a comp.

Prime example, I played with a new member today ( a good friend that joined after alot of nagging from me). The pressure really got to him on his handicap cards. He was given a 28 handicap. Today I signed his card for a +14 round and 50 points. He will get bandit shouts yes, but its his first year and everyone has to start somewhere.

This makes me feel a little better. I will keep going with a couple of supplementary cards.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No-one knows your game better than you.
Go and see your h/cap sec and explain your feelings and ask for a cut.
If he refuses, you have at least tried or go and see the captain and tell him your concerns

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
This makes me feel a little better. I will keep going with a couple of supplementary cards.

just deal with it in the context of 'the best you can do'

Lump is spot on - you shouldn't worry about it. It's not your problem, you can't solve it, don't get caught up in it.

If you find yourself playing 18 holes, then make sure you submit a supplemental card - as Bob focuses, you will be doing yourself a favour mentally by knowing you are being seen to do anything you can.

If you will feel better speaking to the HS, do so. However, as Rosecott points out he can do nothing - he would be wrong to do anything at this point.

Please don't beat yourself up over this - many (inc me) have over the years but in the bigger picture, if you can't put in supplemental cards, then there's nothing you can do.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you will feel better speaking to the HS, do so. However, as Rosecott points out he can do nothing - he would be wrong to do anything at this point.

But any info the H/cap sec has will be useful in the future.

Wessex

Medal Winner
www.w121som.co.uk
Remember to sign the supplementary score book before the round.
Also the marker should be a member of the club and have a handicap.

Check with H/S if you are unsure and also remember that not submitting
the card after signing the book counts as a NR and you should have 0.1
added to your handicap. Not what you are trying to achieve though.

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just play the medal and submit your card, if you get a good handicap reduction then enjoy the moment! Match play is slightly different in the you can pick on a bad hole/be given short putts. Perhaps under medal conditions where everything counts you might find your score being 1 or 2 shots higher anyway.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't be too hasty.
I was in the same boat as you a while back, a fast improving golfer & getting lot's of "bandit" comments.
The trouble was, I could not buy a cut in a Medal due to nerves / inconsistent shots & the odd really bad hole.
Then, a problem crept in to my swing, which has taken me 3 months to cure.
Now hopefully I am on the road to a meaningful handicap cut, but be patient, golf has a funny way of giving you a good kicking just when you think you are on the up.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
just enjoy your golf let thye h/cap sort its self out in comps when you play well, if it really does bother you in the matchplay comp just take less shot and play off 18, but i dont see any need for you to do this the system is the same for all of us.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Indeed, you don't need to play off your actual handicap. That's just the maximum you are allowed.

But as others have stated, by all means try to get it adjusted/put in Supplementary cards (not from Matchplay rounds though!!!), but don't feel embarrassed about it.