Groove sharpeners.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are they any good....I have 2 wilson TW9 wedges that i like i know what distance they go but around the greens they are releasing too much and dont seem to bite very well even when i play for it......
They are about 6 years old and to be honest i dont really want to drop 300 euros on new Vokeys....Even though they'd be nice:lol:.....

So i was thinking maybe i might be able to sharpen them up a little and get some life back into them for another 12 months anyway.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
With your swing I think it's unlikely you'll ever spin the ball!!! :D

Seriously though I think it's more hassle than it's worth.

Keep them clean and play a decent ball if you can afford to keep losing them off your h/cap :whistle:

Last edited:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
With your swing I think it's unlikey you'll ever spin the ball!!! :D

Seriously though I think it's more hassle than it's worth.

Keep them clean and play a decent ball if you can afford to keep losing them off your h/cap :whistle:

:whoo::thup:

I was half expecting that reply :ears:....
Im probably putting too much spin on the ball at times just with the wrong clubs:whistle:

Im using Srixon Z-Star XV's so they are a decent ball....

Seriously though my iron game is getting very strong...So something is going right.
And im knocking on the door of another cut at some stage....Maybe pushing just a little too hard.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So i was thinking maybe i might be able to sharpen them up a little ........

bit of a misnomer really because the edges of your groves are radiused (rounded over) when they come out of the factory, to make them legal.

"Grooves must not have sharp edges or raised lips
For clubs that have a loft angle greater than or equal to 25 degrees, groove edges must be substantially in the form of a round ...."

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
IMO you are risking making your grooves non conforming by trying to hand sharpen the tolerances the grooves are machined to i believe can only be achieved by a machine.

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we had a long debate over the use of groove sharpeners not so long ago and i was called a "cheat" for using one by another forum member,get the one recommended for your clubs and give it a try they don't cut a new groove they just clean the edges and make the grooves better than they are now,what are you going to lose!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
we had a long debate over the use of groove sharpeners not so long ago and i was called a "cheat" for using one by another forum member,get the one recommended for your clubs and give it a try they don't cut a new groove they just clean the edges and make the grooves better than they are now,what are you going to lose!

Respect?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

If there only cleaning surelya tee peg or brush will do the same thing?