Gripping the putter.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was just wondering what is the most popular way to grip the putter.
I hold it in the normal way, with the top hand fore finger over the lower fingers. I hold it as lightly as possible and still have control.
Ok lads and lasses what do you do.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I have recently changed from a double interlock which suited me well felt great but I was very streaky. My forearms were open so if my timing was out I tended to pull and push quite a bit but it was fantastic for pace and range putting.

My new grip is pretty orthodox I think. Right under left, top hand forefinger overlapping bottom hand littlefinger, palms facing and neutral grip between pads and first knuckle right where the fingers start.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I honestly can't describe my putter grip..
Not that it's unorthodox or anything, just that I don't think about the grip- I just grip it!
I grip the same way every time, the same way I have for 20-odd years...
I can't picture it to describe it.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hold it in the conventional way but rather than have my right little finger over my left index finger as you would in a normal overlap grip, I put the left index finger over the gap between the right little finger and ring finger. (Does that make sense?)

It's a change I made fairly recently as I read that it helps keep grip pressure light. I've never been a great putter and, in trying to work out what I was doing wrong, I was conscious that I would tighten my grip over 'pressure' putts. That led to poor lag putting and, more often than not, pulled shorter putts.

It's a very small change but for me, it seems to work, and in the few games I've played since doing it my putting has improved hugely. I wouldn't sat I'm a great putter by any means but I'm not the horror I used to be. Whether there's anything in it or whether it's all placebo, I don't really care ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I hold the grip of my putter more in my hand as opposed to in the fingers with the rest of the clubs.

Traditional grip with a slight overlapping of the hands but nothing excessive.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like this, except I have the little finger of my right hand on the grip.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxPrBuAVas[/video]

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I use a version of the claw grip, similar to Sergio Garcia's, combined with a Super Stroke putter grip. This mainly because I developed a bad case of the yips a few years ago, and it's the only way I can now make a smooth and controlled putting stroke. Before that I used a conventional right hand below left, reverse overlap grip (I play golf right handed). In an inter-club match yesterday I played against a guy who plays right handed, but putts left handed, again after developing the putting yips. Essentially a condition where you right arm or hand takes on a life of its own and cannot be controlled by the conscious mind.

AlexDarling

Club Champion
Visit site
I use both hands.........because I can and it feels right for me- I know this might go against some peoples views or teachings but I like to think outside the box and inside my belljar.

great thread:mmm:

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure what my grip's called but it's fairly orthodox had a putting lesson years ago and stuck with it.

But as for the poster saying there's no such thing as the yips - do you follow the pro tours!!!