Gripping down the shaft...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still being fairly new to golf this is a shot I've never really learnt as such but see a number of players using it. I find the half/three quarter/not quite a full wedge distances really tricky and go through spells when I hit them really nicely but then the occasional shhhhhhhhk or thin and my confidence and feel goes.

Recently I've tried gripping down on my wedge and gap wedge and find it so much easier to play the shots with a full swing and the distance is reduced depending on how far down I grip. This is still new to me so I'm wondering if there are say 3 positions on the grip - full, half way and then right at the bottom of the grip so only just on the grip rather than shaft? I'm still learning the distances when gripping down so is there a "norm" ie. halfway loses 15yds approximately? I'm trying to practice as much as possible to get a feel for the shot and yardage but any advice would be much appreciated.

I tend not to use my sand wedge much from the grass but assume the same could be applied there too? Tight pin over a bunker or similar?

Cheers, Amanda

dandpl

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Amanda

You just really need to put in the practice as with all of golf. Find your normal distance then hit ten balls to a green with your lower grip positions and measure the average distance of carry not the logest or shortest the Average!
Another way to play these shots is to use a clock face as a guide Full swing 12 o clock and a half swing 9 o clock with a 1/4 swing swing back to 7.30.
These are the toughest shots to play.....have a lesson or two and practice, the practice more.

Good luck

dandpl

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
i started tinkering with this myself after a lesson improved my hitting. top, middle bottom gripping and also ball forward back and centre of stance gives a large range of shots with a variety of uses. also trying to test opening the face but this ive found is a risky one at the moment so have little confidence in it yet. the only constant is keeping the butt of the grip pointing at my left hip. this increases loft when ball is forward is the stance so pops up landing softer and reduces loft with ball back allowing more run out. Its great fun to experiment with and shows how versitle a wedge can be.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its all very much trial and error really. Sorry thats not very helpful. But true. One thing you may find helpful (never tried them myself). But you can get a special wedge grip! Its just the same as a normal grip but 2 or 3 inches longer. (think the new Taylor made wedges have them on if you want to see one). The idea of it is, that it feels like a normal grip still as you grip down it. As I have said not tried them myself, but must be someone on here that has.

One thing to remember with a grip change though is if the grip is heavier/lighter it will change the swing weight of the club. If I remember right its about 2 swing weight points for every 10grm weight differance.

For example if you put a new grip on that is 10g lighter it will increase the swing weight 2 points.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing I've been working on is that on shots gripping down the shaft/grip, I often get into a bit of a mess with the sole of the club not really sitting on the ground.

I'm getting very careful with this, as it's easy to stand a little too close and shank it or similar.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amanda,

It's different for everyone because they react differently in their swinging to shortnening the grip!

Ladies tend to still use a 'full swing' as do juniors, but you will find many golfers who naturally shortnen their backswing with shorter clubs, and will continue this when gripping down.

It's generally quick and easy to establish what your distances are, and it's worth doing as it will add to confidence.

mike13a

Visit site
Hi Amanda, I like gripping down on the club plus half swings, well it works for me but not my brother. As mentioned before it is worth practicing at range. I have had 2 lesson on my short game then lots of practice. I would work on at the range, try this with all you clubs not just your short game. I also use this for low shoots in the wind and for under tree branches. Practice is all you can do.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep. If it works for you, it's a great shot to have. Pros use it a lot - but that's because they can practice it.

I tend to allow for the shorter club by swinger quicker - mainly with my wrists - but could probably overcome that with practice.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys - will keep working at it.

Duncan - I think it works for me as I overswing and find it so damned hard to correct that. I feel much more compact with the grip down so think I tend to swing full still but not overswing...

Practice practice practice - gotta be done if my damned sore back will allow it.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Amanda

I use the full length of the grip and on wedges I'm not adverse to having half a hand on the metal. With hydrids and a 7 wood especially on tricky par 3's where you want to float the ball in you can alter both flight and distance by gripping down and adjusting tee height.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amanda

I use the full length of the grip and on wedges I'm not adverse to having half a hand on the metal. With hydrids and a 7 wood especially on tricky par 3's where you want to float the ball in you can alter both flight and distance by gripping down and adjusting tee height.

I still have so much to learn but that is the beauty of this game :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your going about this a**e about face.
What do you do when you have a short pitch onto the green or over a bunker? You shorten the swing naturally so it's almost a long chip with a bit of wrist hinge.
So, as the shot gets longer, think of the backswing getting longer.
If you start thinking with a full swing and start shortening it, you can easily quit on the shot.
So, it's a longer version of the short swing, not a short version of a long swing. :thup:

[video=youtube;rbNPX5ZT9FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNPX5ZT9FY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=10&feature=plcp[/video]

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your going about this a**e about face.
What do you do when you have a short pitch onto the green or over a bunker? You shorten the swing naturally so it's almost a long chip with a bit of wrist hinge.
So, as the shot gets longer, think of the backswing getting longer.
If you start thinking with a full swing and start shortening it, you can easily quit on the shot.
So, it's a long short swing, not a short long swing. :thup:

That makes sense, especially "long chip with a bit of wrist hinge" - thanks Bob :thup:

Dared to hit some with my sand iron today and they were VERY pretty - nowhere near as far as I thought they'd go as they popped up so high so need to practice and develop more feel for the shot/club selection.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
[video=youtube;rbNPX5ZT9FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNPX5ZT9FY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=10&feature=plcp[/video]

^
^
^
Bit of a 'scoopy' swing that one Bob :whistle::whistle:
(double knee bend?????)

When gripping down the shaft it's 'very easy' to leave the face open so it's better to play gripped down shots as a fade (cut shot) where you stand OPEN to the target, it also let's you impart more spin by keeping loft on the clubface.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
^
^
^
Bit of a 'scoopy' swing that one Bob :whistle::whistle:
(double knee bend?????)

When gripping down the shaft it's 'very easy' to leave the face open so it's better to play gripped down shots as a fade (cut shot) where you stand OPEN to the target, it also let's you impart more spin by keeping loft on the clubface.

Thanks James. I do feel more comfortable standing open on the shots for sure and have noted they leak a little right so guess I need to allow for that in my aim?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The plane tends to get steeper when you grip down (shorter shaft) so it's hard to 'swing out' from that position (shank!) so the club needs to exit more left... a cut shot. Pros tend to line up open to practically all shots of 100yds or less and cut the ball in (with 'whip' spin).