Grip problems

bwstokie

Visit site
Hi all
First post but I’m on the verge of packing the game in.

I’ve been having some real issues with my grip and in particular the left hand(I’m right handed). Basically I badly dislocated my left little finger when I was younger and it’s a bit wonky and has always been quite weak despite physio etc. The main issue I’m having is that the club never feels comfortable or secure in my top hand and just can’t keep the club secure in the swing and it always feels like it is going to come out of my hand. It feels like it’s slips and moves position at the top of the back swing. Sometimes I flush it and it feels fantastic but a lot of the time I’m so conscious of it that the whole swing disintegrates and anything can happen at contact. I’ve taken instruction so I know all the theory and still I can’t keep a consistent and secure grip on the club and all of the fiddling is making the whole experience frustrating.

I was wondering if anyone has any similar issues and has found a way to combat this issue. I used to play in my early 20’s (pre injury over 15 years ago) and don’t recall any issue back then when I played off 12. Minutes be had a 15 year break and taken the game up again about 3 months ago and am already thinking I’m beyond help and should just pack it in.

Sorry for the waffle but I really want to play!
Cheers in advance
Lee

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you take your grip, place a penny piece on the grip and hold it in place with the base of your thumb, then make a swing. Does the penny fall out at the top of your backswing?

bwstokie

Visit site
Good.
Does your left arm bend on your backswing?
Yes marginally until the transition into downswing - what do you think? Over swinging causing the club to slip out of my weak left little finger? I havent been able to full swing just but had a quick go in the kitchen. Full speed exacerbating it maybe?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you think the little finger is the problem learn to grip with the finger poking out. like the posh way of drinking a cup of tea.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes marginally until the transition into downswing - what do you think? Over swinging causing the club to slip out of my weak left little finger? I havent been able to full swing just but had a quick go in the kitchen. Full speed exacerbating it maybe?

Next time you practice, try a 3/4 backswing and see if that feels more solid

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My mate lost the tip of this finger in work, and was having this problem.
He bound his two fingers together with a elastic band just before he hit his shot.
Once he got used to this action he was back to normal.
He wears all weather gloves and tried sewing the fingers together
He just tapes these two fingers loosely together now as he has got used to it.
He’s off three so don’t give up ,find a way to do it.

bwstokie

Visit site
My mate lost the tip of this finger in work, and was having this problem.
He bound his two fingers together with a elastic band just before he hit his shot.
Once he got used to this action he was back to normal.
He wears all weather gloves and tried sewing the fingers together
He just tapes these two fingers loosely together now as he has got used to it.
He’s off three so don’t give up ,find a way to do it.
Thanks very much ??