Grip....Am i loosing control for Power

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play regularly with a mate off 1 and we were playing yesterday.....He says i have a pretty sound game a do a hell of a lot right for a Mid Handicapper......
He has no doubt that i will make single figures with patience and practice....This gave me a huge confidence boost as you can imagine coming from a good player....And i try and do as much as i can to stay neutral in many things.....My theory on this is that if i have a neutral grip and body lines then its just a matter of getting the swing on plane.....

Im very disciplined when im practicing and even with a wedge in my hand ill use my alignment sticks for ball position and stance...

So chatting away through shots yesterday i brought up the conversation about Grip....And how i mainly grip across the base of my fingers rather than from the base of the index finger back through the fleshy pad that you see in a lot of textbooks....I think maybe the classic neutral grip....

He said that i would gain more control if i gripped this way and get to make it comfortable for myself....He also struggled with the grip that i use and since changing its given him heaps of control on his shots.....

Im just wondering am i loosing control for power because of my grip...

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You'll find instructors that advocate 1) the club in the fingers 2) the club diagonally across the base of the hand 3) the club in the palm.

Personally I'd go with the finger grip...

[video=youtube;MQP_NGc_A-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQP_NGc_A-4[/video]

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has to be the finger grip, no other way unless you are putting.

The grip is one area you have no excuses getting wrong. There are several places on the net explaining the "textbook" grip. With a good grip you have the opportunity to reach your full potential, a poor grip will only get you so far. My advice is to not compromise make sure its 100%

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its fingers in both hands for me James.....But even talking about it yesterday it felt lie i was loosing grip on the club at the top of the backswing.....Just went out the back there a while ago to see and it feels like im regripping the club at the top before starting back down!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check that you are gripping down on the club so that you have about 1 inch butt showing. I used to do what you described and had a tell tale wear mark on my glove where the butt of the club was moving in my grip. Doesnt happen anymore.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check that you are gripping down on the club so that you have about 1 inch butt showing. I used to do what you described and had a tell tale wear mark on my glove where the butt of the club was moving in my grip. Doesnt happen anymore.

Iv got that wear mark also Sawtooth.....
Its not very bad but you can definitely see where the grip is loose.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I only use one grip these days, the one I've got used to over the last 10 months or so using a club fitted with a leadbetter golf pride.

I couldn't tell you if it's powerful or control (you know me, it's never going to be powerful :) ) but it works great.

I get some glove abrasion and even have some hard skin as I sometimes swing with no glove. I'm convinced this has more to do with loosing grip pressure than the exact placement of the left hand.

Worth getting right though.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Left hand like holding an umbrella, Right like carrying a shopping bag. I was taught that years ago by an old Pro who knew a thing or two and it has always worked for me.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I changed from along the base of the fingers to diagonally from first knuckle of index finger to base of pinkie earlier in the year and saw immediate benefits especially with the driver.

Have dropped from 9 to 7 since and I don't think that's coincidental.

Played 36 holes on Friday and hit 80% of the fairways on the par 4s and 5s. All the rest I was just in the first cut. This is becoming a regular trend - might need to change my forum name!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I changed from along the base of the fingers to diagonally from first knuckle of index finger to base of pinkie earlier in the year and saw immediate benefits especially with the driver.

Have dropped from 9 to 7 since and I don't think that's coincidental.

Played 36 holes on Friday and hit 80% of the fairways on the par 4s and 5s. All the rest I was just in the first cut. This is becoming a regular trend - might need to change my forum name!

Did you give up any distance over it FD?

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
I seen a massive improvement going from the grip you are saying to the fingers. Also the comments from other players to me since the change has been nothing but good.

Try it out and see how it goes and then decide from their if it's beneficial for you or not.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was alway told by coaches. That the top hand the club should run. From the crook of the index finger to the pad at the base of the little finger. With the thumb just off center with the V pointing between the chin and shoulder. The bottom hand should be a pure finger grip with the V pointing exactly the same as the top hand. It will increase power/or should do. As it allows you to hinge your wrists properly. Without lose of connection at the top of the backswing.