Greenside Bunkers..Advise Needed

Bobmysterkaymer

Head Pro
Visit site
No matter how much we try and stay out we end up getting in them. I either feel like bull in a china shop or completely lost when stood in a bunker even though the pros say it's the easiest shot in golf because you don't have to 'hit the ball'
Do you guys have any simple advise, tips, or methods to help 'flop' out of the sand? Cheers.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't automatically think i have to try to go for the pin just focus on getting the ball back in play. Open stance, open face, use the bounce of your sand wedge and accelerate all the way through the ball and finish your swing-biggest problem is quitting just after you've 'hit' the ball but you have to finish your swing. If you're really struggling practice or get a bunker lesson from a pro. I seem to remember there being a Mizuno short game video with Luke Donald which is pretty good and worth a look.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't automatically think i have to try to go for the pin just focus on getting the ball back in play. Open stance, open face, use the bounce of your sand wedge and accelerate all the way through the ball and finish your swing-biggest problem is quitting just after you've 'hit' the ball but you have to finish your swing. If you're really struggling practice or get a bunker lesson from a pro. I seem to remember there being a Mizuno short game video with Luke Donald which is pretty good and worth a look.

That may work in fluffy sand but is a tough shot in compact damp sand which has been very common lately

I prefer a lob wedge lower bounce, club not opened up but you must take less backswing and have a higher follow through to get the height and commit to the shot

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Find a practice bunker and practice!

Here's a technique that works pretty well for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWgy1AobWc

the only answer - it builds competence and confidence

And don't have too high expectations - out and 2 putt (with the chance of 1) is pretty good imo.

the only answer - it builds competence and confidence

find one shot that suits your bunkers (sand and height) that goes 10 yds and use the same shot, in the general direction of the flag if that's no more difficult, each time. Between you inevitable variation, and the different pin positions, you may sometimes get close! :)

with experience you will realise what's happening when you get a higher, further or shorter outcome - and use that deliberately when required; but start with a single shot approach.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Get a lesson. Get the technique sorted and you can go in to any bunker with confidence

Don't understand this reply "go in to any bunker with confidence" only last week your game was all but gone, you keep giving out advice telling folk to go to a Pro and get lessons. It's never helped you........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't understand this reply "go in to any bunker with confidence" only last week your game was all but gone, you keep giving out advice telling folk to go to a Pro and get lessons. It's never helped you........

Just because my game is a mess doesn't mean I don't or shouldn't have an opinion. If the OP is struggling a PGA pro will give him the right technique and he won't go into a bunker and panic

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
up until a few weeks ago I was quite weak at bunkers. iv spent about two hours in our practice bunker and a number of solo rounds at our place hitting bunker shots on every hole.

I am now quite comfortable in the sand. I have a few shots I can play.

the single most important thing ive found is knowing how much sand is under the ball. when you set your feet, if it goes way into the sand, take 3 inches. if you only go in a little then 1 to 1 1/2 iches is fine. you don't need to smash it. just make sure to keep the clubface pointing to the sky thru impact and beyond.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Get a lesson. Get the technique sorted and you can go in to any bunker with confidence

Only if your bunkers are consistent - at the moment ours are not. You have to assess the bunker sand and base condition (legally) when first trying to decide the bunker technique to adopt. You then set up to play the shot but are still wondering if you've made the right decision. Right decision - OK, wrong decision - through the green or still in the bunker - often regardless of how well you actually execute your shot.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That may work in fluffy sand but is a tough shot in compact damp sand which has been very common lately

I prefer a lob wedge lower bounce, club not opened up but you must take less backswing and have a higher follow through to get the height and commit to the shot

This is exactly my problem in the bunkers mate....I struggle regardless when in them but find it MUCH MORE DIFFICULT when theres not much sand in the bunkers and or wet....which my clubs bunkers are like....I am doing ok in the practice bunkers as there plenty of sand but when on the course am struggling.....its like batting my head against a brick wall as am practising in a good bunker then struggle on the course bunkers.....

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think im ok at bunker play (thats put the mockers on me now) i would see the mistake people make most is not following through , my unqualified advice to you would be get a lob wedge , make sure you accelerate through the sand under the ball and make sure your hands finish higher than your waist on the follow through ..

But practice is only thing that will build confidence ,

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is exactly my problem in the bunkers mate....I struggle regardless when in them but find it MUCH MORE DIFFICULT when theres not much sand in the bunkers and or wet....which my clubs bunkers are like....I am doing ok in the practice bunkers as there plenty of sand but when on the course am struggling.....its like batting my head against a brick wall as am practising in a good bunker then struggle on the course bunkers.....

if there is only a little sand try hitting an inch / inch and a half behind the ball. when there is very little In and you try to take as much sand as you would with a bunker with lots of sand in it, you end up bouncing the club up too soon and airmailing the green. try it, take a little less.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think im ok at bunker play (thats put the mockers on me now) i would see the mistake people make most is not following through , my unqualified advice to you would be get a lob wedge , make sure you accelerate through the sand under the ball and make sure your hands finish higher than your waist on the follow through ..

But practice is only thing that will build confidence ,

I'm trying to do this BP and do use a lob wedge.....and try to practice this in the practice bunker.

Garesfield ACE

Tour Rookie
Visit site
if there is only a little sand try hitting an inch / inch and a half behind the ball. when there is very little In and you try to take as much sand as you would with a bunker with lots of sand in it, you end up bouncing the club up too soon and airmailing the green. try it, take a little less.

In last 2 games ive played mate today and yesterday ive been in 5 bunkers in total and taken 6 shots to get out so only 1 failure shot.Think I didnt follow through properly.The sand has become a little fluffier and drier so think thats helped.Also I may have had my ball position to far forward to my left foot,Ive come back 4/5 inches and think thats helped.

When theres been/are.. bunkers with little sand in......ive been hitting it my 'normal way' 2 inches approx before the ball.....and generally not getting out....or the odd time flying out and over the green...I continue to practice in our practice bunker and the results are decent I hope..anything from 10 yards to 30 yards out of the bunker

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
good to hear pal. the more we practice the easier they become. I've lost the fear of bunkers. as long as the lie is half decent. still plenty of work to do.