Great but worrying simulator session today

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
So I'm in Singapore at the moment, and there is a terrible haze problem, plus 78% humidity, which means driving range time is not high on my agenda.
However, I found a bar here, called Urban Fairways, that has three simulators.

First the great bit. It cost me £30 for an hour and they threw in free club rental.
It's the same system Speith, Woods, Poulter and some others use, and is really good.
Practice range with flight tracker, you can add a target round the pin, and view stats like carry, spin, deviation, etc. Also, about 20 courses to play that seem to be pretty realistic, if their version of the Old Course at St. Andrews I'd anything to go by.
Was very impressed and I'd recommend it to anyone over here.

Now to the worrying bit. I own Ping i25 irons, woods and driver, which are about 9 months old. I was using Nike Vapour irons, woods and driver at this place. And I just couldn't stop hitting the damn things straight. Like, really straight!
Out out of 20 shots with a 6 iron, I averaged only 6 yards of deviation from straight line.
Driver pretty much hit the fairway every time, when playing a course.

I'm just going to keep telling myself that it was because I was indoors and the machine has been set up to be really, really forgiving and incapable of registering slices and hooks!

Otherwise my bank balance is in serious trouble!

:rofl:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it a Golfzon simulator? I've used one of them and I was absolutely smashing the ball on it. Went round St Andrews in sub 80. Next week went on the GC2 at the same place and was much more realistic. Back to normal scoring and normal distances. Every time I've played a Golfzon simulator it's been the same.

Last edited:

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So I'm in Singapore at the moment, and there is a terrible haze problem, plus 78% humidity, which means driving range time is not high on my agenda.
However, I found a bar here, called Urban Fairways, that has three simulators.

First the great bit. It cost me £30 for an hour and they threw in free club rental.
It's the same system Speith, Woods, Poulter and some others use, and is really good.
Practice range with flight tracker, you can add a target round the pin, and view stats like carry, spin, deviation, etc. Also, about 20 courses to play that seem to be pretty realistic, if their version of the Old Course at St. Andrews I'd anything to go by.
Was very impressed and I'd recommend it to anyone over here.

Now to the worrying bit. I own Ping i25 irons, woods and driver, which are about 9 months old. I was using Nike Vapour irons, woods and driver at this place. And I just couldn't stop hitting the damn things straight. Like, really straight!
Out out of 20 shots with a 6 iron, I averaged only 6 yards of deviation from straight line.
Driver pretty much hit the fairway every time, when playing a course.

I'm just going to keep telling myself that it was because I was indoors and the machine has been set up to be really, really forgiving and incapable of registering slices and hooks!

Otherwise my bank balance is in serious trouble!

:rofl:

It is only a training aid and you should take the figures with a pinch of salt, especially if you hit one thin (It will go a long way)

When they endorse these sims it is like TM saying gain 15 yards, it sells product.

The sim you are talking about, i can hit my 4 iron 40 yards further than reality

They flatter you on low shots, the type amateurs hit often, for well struck high drives the sim is very accurate until you get very fast, low balls and deviation will make you think you are doing a lot better than you are..

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Distance was the one thing that wasn't particularly tricked up. In fact it was off. I know I can hit a driver further than 210 at least once out of 20! The guy there said he often find it's 40 yards short of his distances.

It was more the straightness I was getting at.

Played today on one of the only public courses left in Singapore, Marina Bay Golf Course. Great, great golf course, but very pricey at £125, although that gives you buggy, gps, locker and towel. The course itself is 6561 metres off the back tees, 91 massive pot bunkers, several water hazards, a great par 3 with an almost island green and some drivable par 4's. The greens themselves are true but fairly slow, although it's sometimes difficult to stop the ball if you land the green.

Apparently, the government are closing down the course in two years, and seizing the land to build new office parks. If you're ever over here and you fancy shelling out a bit, then you should play this course before it's gone forever!

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The distance for this sim generally is quite accurate if you flight the ball correctly, the result is most people believe it measures short as they are so used to jumped up figures. Low shots go far, hook and slice are straitened.

They are ALL to be taken with a pinch of salt, you can make them show anything and they are in most cases used to sell products