GPS anyone

V

vkurup

I have a Leupold GX2 rangefinder. However no longer keen on taking it out, pointing and shooting et al. So thinking of getting a GPS thingi.
Too many options out there. But effectively tossing between
1) Garmin G6.. good reviews
2) Golf Buddy World/Platinum or whatever

Not keen to pay a yearly subscription, hence ruled out SkyCaddy. Also a stateside friend suggested the free Golflogix App for iphone.

Anyone with experience in any of these....

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well with the Iphone illegal for competitions that would probably rule out the app unless you just wanted it for casual rounds. I recently got a Shotmiser G500 from the froum and have to say I'm impressed. It didn't have my course listed when I bought it. Sent them an request and it's now on the list and should be ready within the month! The G700 has unlimited course download and the course list should expand over time. There is a flash demo on the website. Seems similar in features to the G6 (which also doesn't feature my home course!)

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Garmin g3 and your rangefinder tbh, garmin is cheap, no fee's and works a treat. used it for 6 rounds now and really helps even for 50yds and in I use it. I just have it clipped to my bag and have a quick glance if I need a distance. love the green feature where I can move the flag and also moving the cursor for distances to o/b, hazards and so forth.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As far as I am aware any device that can provide more than distance information (elevation, wind strength/direction etc.) is not legal on the course irrespective of whether the other functions are used.

V

vkurup

Not the App, the phone. Due to the inbuilt compass.
Do a search and you'll pick up the details...

Hadnt thought about the iPhone being illegal either... you learn something everyday. But does that mean, I can put it on my blackberry - cos the BB does not seem to have any other feature.

V

vkurup

Bought the Garmin S1 GPS watch last week. Brilliant little thing and very accurate on the course I played on.

Thought about the S1.. however, dont like the idea of wearing a watch during my game. It might affect my swing (not) :) The small voice one is another good idea from Garmin. Anyone got that?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am bumping this thread as I have decided I need some form of GPS, I downloaded one onto my phone but not too struck by it and think a proper gps unit would be better. I have games coming up in the next motn on 6 diferent courses and its rare to fins one that sells course plannewrs.
I dont fancy the watch option as I rarely wear a watch, so looking at Garmin G3, question is it looks cheap at around £140, other Garmi models are well over £200, Sky caddy is over £200 too.
So what are the diferences that make the others so much more expensive and are they worth the extra?
Any personal reviews would be welsome.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The main difference between the G3 and the dearer models is a bigger and/or better screen (sometimes incl a touch screen). Before you buy I would definitely recommend going and looking at a few and seeing how they look. I think the G3 doesnt have a stats tracking option which some of the dearer models have.

Personally found the screen on the garmin a bit small compared to say the golf buddy, that said i have a UPro which has quite a poor screen and it doesnt bother me now Im used to it (at least on the days it decides to charge up lol)

If you look at the link below it enables you to compare the 3 Garmin models

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare...648&compareProduct=85254&compareProduct=85255

V

vkurup

I have been using the Golflogix free app on my blackberry. It drains battery. But I find the whole yardage thing v v useful and quick. The quick bit is winning the battle over my laser rangefinder. The app is very tacky, but I think that is more to do with how blackberry works rather than golflogix. My mates have downloaded into iphone, and has a much better interface. I am now saving up for a Garmin G6.

V

vkurup

I have the Leupold GX1. Its fantastic. However it can give false negatives. Again it is more 'operator issue' rather than the Leupold. You need to have a steady pair of hands to use it. It is very accurate and sensitive - which is a bit of downfall in an inexperienced hands. I can easily pick up trees or big targets, but struggle with keeping steady grip to find the flag (esp in windy conditions). So can end up firing the laser on the wrong target. Now that i have see the GPS, I am moving to one. I believe Bushnell has a hybrid (GPS + Laser) if you have the bucks. Hope this is useful

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks

Yes have looked at the hybrid but will still have my old gps if needed so plan to carry one of each (away from home at least), lasrer should be enough on the home track

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm looking at changing as my Sky Caddy is playing up.

Yes. What's up with Skycaddies - mine is very odd indeed.

Not to mention the abysmal accuracy.

Stood next to a shot today, skycaddie said 92, didn't seem right, stepped back 2 yards to where my trolley was (3 yards max?!) and suddenly 100 yards. ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought the G3 from Tesco Direct at £120 and it's a fabulous piece of kit. Quick to activate, acurate and touch screen. The only downside is that it takes AA batteries and if you have rechargeables like me, you have to keep up with the charging and, like yesterday, change them mid round - but it only took a minute to do

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have a look at a Snooper S210, £99, no fees, great wee bit of kit, only downside is it's needs two AAA batteries but comes with a couple of rechargables and a charger. Comes pre loaded with over 5000 british courses and is waterproof, it just clips on the bag.