Government job retention scheme

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've calculated, via Sage Payroll, my company claim but for the life of me I cant access the Government Claim portal. I have a VAT gateway number but this doesnt get me in and I'm just going round in circles.

Anyone done it and can offer suggestions ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this for staff pay who are furloughed? You need your 10 digit UTR number. Apologies if it a different thing you are looking for. My wife did it last week and that number caught her out. The number we had was much longer than digits but you have to drop a few off ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Is this for staff pay who are furloughed? You need your 10 digit UTR number. Apologies if it a different thing you are looking for. My wife did it last week and that number caught her out. The number we had was much longer than digits but you have to drop a few off ?

The problem has just been accessing the claim section of the government portal, I have all the numbers I have to input but I'm just going round the houses with the .Gov site

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem has just been accessing the claim section of the government portal, I have all the numbers I have to input but I'm just going round the houses with the .Gov site

Not used it myself Chris but am used to the lovely circular nature of HMRCs site. Have had a look and the below link seems the obvious route in (which means its probably wrong!)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wages-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

halfway down the page is a green "Claim now" button, which should take you to a log in screen where you sign in with the government gateway ID

I assume youve probably been down this route already tho

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not used it myself Chris but am used to the lovely circular nature of HMRCs site. Have had a look and the below link seems the obvious route in (which means its probably wrong!)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wages-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

halfway down the page is a green "Claim now" button, which should take you to a log in screen where you sign in with the government gateway ID

I assume youve probably been down this route already tho

Hi Fundy - you're spot on, I've done it a dozen times and, as you say, it's a circular site.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi Fundy - you're spot on, I've done it a dozen times and, as you say, it's a circular site.

does it allow you to sign in on that page? if so what does it then give you?

(theres usually a way round the system but my gateway wont get me access to the scheme to see what screens come up)

again assume you are but the gateway ID needs to be the PAYE one you have for the business

D

Deleted member 21258

deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks to both Fundy and DRW for help

I'm doing pretty much what you're both saying but on one page it doesn't recognize my tax office number and on a different one it wants the Unique tax number which, of course is not at home with me so I'll have to go in to work tomorrow. I'll have another go tomorrow but any other help is much appreciated

Cheers

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having now submitted his 2018/19 tax return my lad is a bit disappointed to find that because his self-employed earning were less than 50% of his total earnings for that year - he does not qualify for any grant relating to his self-employment. The frustrating (to say the least) aspect of it is that his self-employed income was 42% of his total...of £12,500 for that year...

As I told him - it may seem unfair that many earning a lot more than him in will get a grant of up to £2500 a month, but because he earns 'not a lot' he gets nothing. Well - as this isn't a benefit scheme - it's scheme to compensate for loss of earnings and to keep the heads of the self-employed above water. And they have to make some cut-off. But that cut-off is actually quite a hard one for him to accept as he worked very hard that year for the £5k self-employed income and he is upset that it is not being recognised by the government in their scheme.

That said - due to their zero earnings at the moment - and nothing through the grant scheme - he and his partner should get a reasonable amount through UC to compensate - he should find out this coming week - and they've had a 33% reduction in their Council Tax bill for the coming year. And then of course there is the ever benevolent Bank of MaD which may well have to step in with a rescue package :rolleyes:

Of course he is not so hard hit as the group of those who left employment within the last tax year, do not have an employer to furlough them - and do not have a self-employed tax return on which HMRC can base a grant. Now that is really tough.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having now submitted his 2018/19 tax return my lad is a bit disappointed to find that because his self-employed earning were less than 50% of his total earnings for that year - he does not qualify for any grant relating to his self-employment. The frustrating (to say the least) aspect of it is that his self-employed income was 42% of his total...of £12,500 for that year...

As I told him - it may seem unfair that many earning a lot more than him in will get a grant of up to £2500 a month, but because he earns 'not a lot' he gets nothing. Well - as this isn't a benefit scheme - it's scheme to compensate for loss of earnings and to keep the heads of the self-employed above water. And they have to make some cut-off. But that cut-off is actually quite a hard one for him to accept as he worked very hard that year for the £5k self-employed income and he is upset that it is not being recognised by the government in their scheme.

That said - due to their zero earnings at the moment - and nothing through the grant scheme - he and his partner should get a reasonable amount through UC to compensate - he should find out this coming week - and they've had a 33% reduction in their Council Tax bill for the coming year. And then of course there is the ever benevolent Bank of MaD which may well have to step in with a rescue package :rolleyes:

Of course he is not so hard hit as the group of those who left employment within the last tax year, do not have an employer to furlough them - and do not have a self-employed tax return on which HMRC can base a grant. Now that is really tough.
Not having a pop but wouldnt he and his partner be better doing Supermarket or similar work, surely it would take their joint incomes to over £20k. Tell me to mind my own business if you like ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not having a pop but wouldnt he and his partner be better doing Supermarket or similar work, surely it would take their joint incomes to over £20k. Tell me to mind my own business if you like ?
I thought he was a musician, I may be wrong forgive me if that is not the case.
But sometimes you got to have a crack at your dreams irrespective of the financial consequences.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Quite probably - but he was on track for a really good year this year as he had just now got himself established and had a load of tours booked in. Looked like averaging 15 shows a month at say £150-£200 a show plus another £1000 or so a month from his employed club work.

Every bit of work now cancelled and clubs shut.

His optimistic restart timescale is October but I have my doubts. We really feel for him as he has battled his way through the lower slopes doing whatever and wherever in the country - really knackering...and just when things were about to really take off for him this has happened and absolutely sunk him...:(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought he was a musician, I may be wrong forgive me if that is not the case.
But sometimes you got to have a crack at your dreams irrespective of the financial consequences.
He is but no longer trying to make it with the band. He does club promotions and dj’ing for employed and show/gig rep’ing for self-employed - getting to venues before the artist/band to make sure the venue is all sorted and all is ready for band arriving.

He did Turin Brakes tour January and Feb and was to have been doing Lloyd Cole tour this month and into next with others lined up. Also reps on club nights for such as Judge Jules, Craig Charles and Trevor Nelson.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ll add that he knows he will have to look for work out of the Performing Acts sector if it does not return October or soon after...but it’s his passion and he is willing to do whatever it takes to get up the ladder - and he can make a decent living - and whilst he is climbing he will accept living off not very much at all. He doesn’t do anything outside of work as his work is his great interest and so he can live off a small income with few outgoings other than food, rent, power, gas, council tax. And his partner will have to get some employment doing something..anything will do...

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ll add that he knows he will have to look for work out of the Performing Acts sector if it does not return October or soon after...but it’s his passion and he is willing to do whatever it takes to get up the ladder - and he can make a decent living - and whilst he is climbing he will accept living off not very much at all. He doesn’t do anything outside of work as his work is his great interest and so he can live off a small income with few outgoings other than food, rent, power, gas, council tax. And his partner will have to get some employment doing something..anything will do...

Surely be should be looking for other work now. Sometimes as a parent you have to put your foot down and not keep enabling them.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I submitted 2 claims through the system last week, no problems

If you are already registered for online submissions and as previous post said have your UTR number it should work

Scarily their calculations and mine matched :eek:

Reactions: Val

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely be should be looking for other work now. Sometimes as a parent you have to put your foot down and not keep enabling them.
He is looking into what he might do if tours do not start up and clubs do not reopen in some fashion October-time. But the performing arts sector is not dead. It will come back. Bands and others will tour in some shape or form, venues and clubs will reopen.

And as mentioned. He is OK with keeping his eyes on the prize he sees in his sector (supporting a 'major' act - he was hoping, outside chance, of doing Paul Weller later this year - and earning £350-£400/gig), and meanwhile will put up with scraping through on the little he has - it is what many do out of necessity and not out of choice. And if he decides that he needs to get going with other work then he'll do that. He is not afraid of hard work in any sector.

He knows where he is with us. We will help out during this immediate period - and indeed may well give him the equivalent of what he is not getting as a self-employed grant as we know how hard he had to work to earn that £5k or so - all of about £350/month. But we will only do that for as long as the government is providing the grant.

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
He is looking into what he might do if tours do not start up and clubs do not reopen in some fashion October-time. But the performing arts sector is not dead. It will come back. Bands and others will tour in some shape or form, venues and clubs will reopen.

And as mentioned. He is OK with keeping his eyes on the prize he sees in his sector (supporting a 'major' act - he was hoping, outside chance, of doing Paul Weller later this year - and earning £350-£400/gig), and meanwhile will put up with scraping through on the little he has - it is what many do out of necessity and not out of choice. And if he decides that he needs to get going with other work then he'll do that. He is not afraid of hard work in any sector.

He knows where he is with us. We will help out during this immediate period - and indeed may well give him the equivalent of what he is not getting as a self-employed grant as we know how hard he had to work to earn that £5k or so - all of about £350/month. But we will only do that for as long as the government is providing the grant.

Why is he not looking for other work now?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I submitted 2 claims through the system last week, no problems

If you are already registered for online submissions and as previous post said have your UTR number it should work

Scarily their calculations and mine matched :eek:

We do RTI submissions on Sagecloud I'll have to try the UTR number as I still cant get in today ???

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why is he not looking for other work now?
He is certainly looking into what he might do if it looks like things might not open back up for a while. At the moment he's furloughed from his employment and getting a bit through UC. He's also spending the time he doesn't normally have to put together some music to release - he sees himself as Sheffield's answer to Calvin Harris...Note - Calvin Harris net worth $240million (my lad has a bit to go - but he might as well aim for the stars :) )

Last edited: