Goodbye 3-iron, Hello rescue club

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
I have bowed to the inevitable and ordered a 19 degree rescue club (hopefully in time for the GM Meet at Craigielaw). To accommodate this, the bag will have to lose a club and the 3-iron is the most likely candidate.

The few shots I've hit with other people's rescue clubs have convinvced me that hitting a rescue, from fairway or particularly light rough, will be much easier than a 3 iron. I also reckon that hitting a 75% rescue will be easier than trying the same with a 3 iron.

Can anyone who has swapped in this way provide any concrete evidence to support or shoot down the above ?

ta.

Andy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Andy

Welcome into the light. I ditched my 3 iron for my Cobra Baffler DWS two years ago and never looked back. I had no fear of using my 3 iron (being brought up on blades in the 80's it seemed huge in comparison) and hit it pretty well . The problem was in anything more than light rough the 3 iron was out of the equation and sometimes even a 5 wood wasn't the best shot. The hybrid will give you so much more versatility and will forgive anything not struck right out the middle.

By the way which one did you get

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk
HJS,

I'm getting a Titliest 19deg with stiff shaft and mid-size grip. My mate (who is in the golf business) has two: 17deg and 21deg and the mid-size grip is what he's got (he's 6'5", I'm 6'4", we both find the standard grips a bit skinny).

As you said, forgiveness and hitability (?) out of light/medium rough is what I am after. A bonus will be if I can learn to hit a 3/4 shot with the hybrid.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There used to be a time when 200 yards over water to the green was not a problem for me and my 3 iron. The times though have changed. I can still hit a 3 iron decently but only 2 or 3 times out of 10. Now I have (or have had) various rescues/hybrids that I can hit a similar distance 7 or 8 times out of 10.

For me, thats a no-brainer.

I know that there are still people out there who don't have a rescue and if you can still hit a 3 or even a 2 iron well then good luck to you. But do yourself a favour and try one. Most of the pros have at least one in their bags - that's got to tell you something.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have the 21° Titleist hybrid. I have found it a bit harder to hit than my old Taylormade, but it has a better, more penetrating flight, and I have become more used to it (it certainly worked yesterday). It has an R300 shaft, 1/2" longer than standard with a mid (ish) sized Lamkin crossline grip.

For shear versatility, I don't think you will regret this choice of club, my only query would be why 19° when the 3 iron you are replacing is probably 21°. I know the hybrid in theory should fly higher, due to it's low cog, but the Titleist one seems to be more like an iron in terms of flight. Unless you don't carry a five wood either.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I still prefer to hit my 3 iron as I hit it well.
I'm sure as I get older and slower I will revert to a Rescue. ;) :p

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
funny you posting this SS2,i having been thinking of doing the same for next season within the last few days. i am looking at either Ping or Titleist hybrids o replace my 3 iron, mind you the 3 iron will be kept handy for those windy days

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As stated earlier my 3 iron isn't replaced its simply got an alternative, as I hit my 3 iron extremely well when I'm playing well. Normally it was hybrid clubs I had problems with until I came across my current hybrid. Infact for next years Links-fest I maybe looking for a 2iron to fit in the set & leave the hybrids & woods out.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
are you not carrying 15 clubs then Cernunnos, going by your club list
driver 1
3 wood 2
hybrid 3
irons 11
wedges 14
putter 15
what do you leave out or have i read your post wrong ?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hybrids don't have to 'fli hi'. If you get the right one, they can still provide the flight you want. The reason I have one is not because I can't hit a 3i, it is because they are alot more versatile. I don't know many people who can consistently hit long irons out of poor lies, but lots who can hit hybrids. The 3i gets benched because I don't use it enough compared to other clubs in the bag.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reason I have one is not because I can't hit a 3i, it is because they are alot more versatile. I don't know many people who can consistently hit long irons out of poor lies, but lots who can hit hybrids. The 3i gets benched because I don't use it enough compared to other clubs in the bag.

Me too. Absolutely. Also, out of light rough grass, I use it for distances as short as a five iron. In that respect I could also bin the 4 iron, but the hybrid is not as accurate off a nice fairway lie.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
are you not carrying 15 clubs then Cernunnos, going by your club list
driver 1
3 wood 2
hybrid 3
irons 11
wedges 14
putter 15
what do you leave out or have i read your post wrong ?

My current setup is
driver,
3 wood
18' hybrid
3-PW
56'
60'
putter
= 14 clubs
If I put the 5 wood back in the hybrid comes out.
But I have a choice of clubs I keep in the boot of the car, including a change of driver alternative wedges etc, to suite different courses.

When I was playing the links courses last week the 9.5 degree Titleist went in the bag. I have the choice to drop the 47' PW & insert the 50' wedge.

There maybe a limit what we can carry in the bag, but not in the boot of the car. As long as only 14 clubs make the course there is no problem.

Any clearer?

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hardly ever use 3 or 4 iron nowadays and rarely use 5 iron, ever since I started using recovery wood and a hybrid driving iron, I could certainly lose the 3 and 4 irons.

The last few courses Ive played and the last dozen times at one course I think I used 3 iron once to hit a low scamper out of trees, the 5 and 6 iron a handful of times. The bulk of play has been Driver,3 wood, 7-sw irons and a significant number of shots with recovery wood and hybrid .

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
In terms of hitting a 3/4 shot with the hybrid you should be able to no problem. I like playing a bit of a punch shot with mine- although even this flies quite high, but my point is you can do almost anything with a hybrid. You have made a wise move.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
...but my point is you can do almost anything with a hybrid. You have made a wise move.

Yes, almost, except I can't turn the face over on a hybrid (for a r-l shot) with any success. There's two holes at mine that would be great for a 3H tee shot (short par 4s) but they need a draw/hook type of shot. So, I'm stuck with a 4 iron.

One day, I took my old BB 2 iron out just for these two holes.....worked a treat. I definitely have a problem squaring/closing the face with hybrid clubs....dunno why :D