Good golf resort for a non-golfer?

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's my 65th next June and my wife would like us to go somewhere for a week or so where I could play a few rounds of golf but she (as a non golfer) would still have plenty of things to do (spa, pool, beach, town etc). Many of the resorts I've looked at are a bit remote from other activities

I initially thought of the Welk resort in Escondido, California; as I have stayed there a couple of times before I took up golf, but it's a bit far to go, so would like to find something similar in mainland Europe or the Canary Islands. Any recommendations?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's my 65th next June and my wife would like us to go somewhere for a week or so where I could play a few rounds of golf but she (as a non golfer) would still have plenty of things to do (spa, pool, beach, town etc). Many of the resorts I've looked at are a bit remote from other activities

I initially thought of the Welk resort in Escondido, California; as I have stayed there a couple of times before I took up golf, but it's a bit far to go, so would like to find something similar in mainland Europe or the Canary Islands. Any recommendations?

Butlins, I am sure they still have the crazy golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
K Club!

Plenty of non-golf activities or simply to relax - or a trip to Dublin! My non-golfing wife loved it!

And if there's racing at The Curragh.....

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus. My wife loved the spa & restaurants & the course is spectacular. Built on two hills with a ravine between them. You have to negotiate around 18 hairpin bends in the buggy to get from the 4th green to 5th tee.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check out the Ritz Carlton Abama 5 star hotel in Tenerife, it has everything your looking for including its own excellent golf course, it's expensive but looks absolutely stunning.
I'm trying to talk the wife into us going later in the year , fingers crossed.

Last edited:

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Check out the Ritz Carlton Abama 5 star hotel in Tenerife, it has everything your looking for including its own excellent golf course, it's expensive but looks absolutely stunning.
I'm trying to talk the wife into us going later in the year , fingers crossed.
Looks very nice, it's on our short list.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One of the Cascais/Estoril ones paired with a couple of days in Lisbon? Not sure re hotels/spas as I stayed in an apartment but there is plenty of things to do outside of the hotel.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus. My wife loved the spa & restaurants & the course is spectacular. Built on two hills with a ravine between them. You have to negotiate around 18 hairpin bends in the buggy to get from the 4th green to 5th tee.
I like the look of that a lot, only concern is that it might be a tad too warm by that time.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site

Yeah played this course a few times and the whole resort is great however it is hot in the summer, I went in August but the buggies had ice buckets and cold water on tap and the course was quiet later on due to the heat. Great for the no golfer though.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Have look at the golf resorts near Lisbon (in Sintra/Estoril), i.e. Penha Longa, Quinta da Marinha, The Oitavos, and Palacio Estoril. They're all quite close to the city, and Lisbon is really beautiful. There are also some beaches in the area, so your wife (and you) shouldn't get bored.