Good clubs for a new starter

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Dave.

Those are an unusual choice of clubs. Kev-on-the-tee had a set, and I was thinking about buying them.

That "deal" is not for a full set, just the irons, and t.b.h. nobody really understands the theory behind the shafts. I asked my pro ('cause I really wanted to get Kev's) and he...well... :)

david1983

Hacker
Visit site
Im just so confused to be honest, there are so many out there and not sure what to buy. Everyone says different things.
What would you recommend if not them?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just buy something normal. :)

Get yourself a decent set of simple steel shafted irons.

You can't go too far wrong with 2nd hand irons from a top notch maker. I'm sure there's a driving range near you that sells 2nd hand kit.

Hard to go wrong with Wilson Staff (usually cheaper to start with than Callaway/Ping). Taylor Made are good, but they've made a lot of sets that aren't exactly "beginner". Titleist are superb, but hold their value. Mizuno too, just don't buy a set of blades! :(

PM me if you need. I have all the charts from Ralph Maltby (American club maker) where he gives 95%+ of irons a rating for their playability. I'm a member on his forum. Not everybody is into this (some folk think it's just rubbish) but he's usually right.

Most people can play with most clubs, you just don't really want a very-hard-to-hit set - they do exist.

Sultana

Club Champion
Visit site
Relative newcomer to the game myself and I play Wilson Di9's which are ok for me, but I'd recommend trying a few different brands in somewhere like American Golf, then decide for yourself.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Those are 'unusual' which seems to be the reason they haven't been popular. It's something od a risk, but I suspect that's quite a good price for a new set. Benross and MD are the 'traditional' best buys for good quality 'starter' sets of irons.

As far as 2nd hand sets go, I've always been a fan of the MX25, MX23 irons. Plenty of forgiveness and can last all your golf! Ebay is the best source for these.

Shafts are something that are personal. Normally, Regulars tend to be better for 'starters', but if you are powerfully built, then Stiff could well be better. If you actually have a lesson with a Pro (always a good idea to start with to get the 'fundamentals' correct) he should be able to advise best!

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got some wilson di11s and love them. So easy to hit and very very forgiving when I get it wrong. I have a 5w & 3h fybrids and love them. Only word to describe the fybrids awesome. If I didn't get these for free i would have went for some mizuno irons. If you got the same clubs as me the d11s you wouldn't be disappointed.

david1983

Hacker
Visit site
Clubs for a newbie

Morning all.

1st I just wanted to say thanks for all the help I have received. I popped into American Golf last night and found them to be very helpful. I had a feel of a few sets and tho I havent hit a ball yet really liked the clubs linked below. I was wondering if anyone had them or knew anything about them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nike-Golf-SlingShot-Combo-Set-Golf-Clubs-5-PW-3-4-Hybrids-Right-Handed-/140738142826?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item20c4a5a26a

I
have also popped on a small bid for the below, any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320947192...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1282

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Clubs for a newbie

Fella this is the third thread you had started on this topic how many more?

Threads merged.

david1983

Hacker
Visit site

Fella this is the third thread you had started on this topic how many more?

Threads merged.

Im new to here and trying to post on my phone which is a little difficult. I just wanted peoples opinion and if anyone had any tips for someone starting out.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

For me I would have Wilson Di series before any Nike clubs, but it's personal preference and having never hit a Nike club that I like.
On the driver, it seems like a good deal; only issue I can see is it doesn't state shaft stiffness which is kinda the important bit of info.

david1983

Hacker
Visit site

For me I would have Wilson Di series before any Nike clubs, but it's personal preference and having never hit a Nike club that I like.
On the driver, it seems like a good deal; only issue I can see is it doesn't state shaft stiffness which is kinda the important bit of info.

Thanks for the info. Funny you should say that because the other set I was looking at are

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Wilson-Staff-Di7-Irons-Steel-4-SW/p13431.aspx

Sultana

Club Champion
Visit site

Di7's are a few years old now, but as I suggested try a few different brands before you splash your cash. If you do decide to buy from AG, then there's a free custom fitting service, which you should take advantage of.