Golfers attack dog walker

Status
Not open for further replies.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s shocking.
Dog walkers can be a pain but violence is totally wrong.
I wonder if there is a right of way for the public?
They need to be caught pronto..

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
That’s shocking.
Dog walkers can be a pain but violence is totally wrong.
I wonder if there is a right of way for the public?
They need to be caught pronto..

Scottish Outdoor Access Code pretty much gives that. With the exception of private gardens and some, not all, farm land.

Our course has wide open playing fields, a nearby park and a path that stretches all the way round the perimeter of the course but people still insist on walking across the course, because “it’s their right”…

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt that golfers would spontaneously attack an innocent dog walker minding their own business. Maybe the dog went after one of them and the walker took offence and got physical when the golfer had a swipe at the dog with a 9 iron, and the golfer defended himself?

Not justifying excess violence, but the story is unlikely to be as simple as described.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I doubt that golfers would spontaneously attack an innocent dog walker minding their own business. Maybe the dog went after one of them and the walker took offence and got physical when the golfer had a swipe at the dog with a 9 iron, and the golfer defended himself?

Not justifying excess violence, but the story is unlikely to be as simple as described.

I hate to say it but I thought the same thing. No matter how unhinged you are, you wouldn’t just attack a walker for no reason. Dog stole the ball, golf had a go at owner etc etc?

This is not clean cut.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

didn't read anywhere that the dog walker was innocent or minding his own business. There has undoubtedly been a confrontation, but regardless of who started it, the poor guy is in hospital with a serious head injury inflicted by a golfer.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
didn't read anywhere that the dog walker was innocent or minding his own business. There has undoubtedly been a confrontation, but regardless of who started it, the poor guy is in hospital with a serious head injury inflicted by a golfer.

We don't know if the guy had a serious head injury, or who provoked who. No excuse for a disproportionate response by either party.

Agree more details needed, but in my experience golfers don't attack dog walkers unprovoked.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We don't know if the guy had a serious head injury, or who provoked who. No excuse for a disproportionate response by either party.

Agree more details needed, but in my experience golfers don't attack dog walkers unprovoked.

The first line of the article said "A dog walker was left with a serious head injury after being attacked at a Renfrewshire golf course following an argument with a group of golfers."

No-one is claiming it was unprovoked either.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first line of the article said "A dog walker was left with a serious head injury after being attacked at a Renfrewshire golf course following an argument with a group of golfers."

No-one is claiming it was unprovoked either.

Media reports clearly have the same source material but report the event in varying ways, some using embellishments such as severe, serious, rushed to hospital etc, others not. I don't think the report emerged from a medical assessment.

I hope the guy is OK, there is no excuse for disproportionate violence, and anybody who had committed an assault of ABH or whatever should be duly prosecuted.

I will await more information to emerge, though, to judge it further.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just because this is a golf forum, doesn’t mean we should automatically side with the golfers. I agree that’s there’s two sides to every story, but as it stands, there’s only one person reported as nursing injuries. Regardless of any provocation (assuming non-violent), there’s no excuse for violence at all.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Scottish Outdoor Access Code pretty much gives that. With the exception of private gardens and some, not all, farm land.

Our course has wide open playing fields, a nearby park and a path that stretches all the way round the perimeter of the course but people still insist on walking across the course, because “it’s their right”…
They added a proviso in the OAC a few years ago it now says you shouldn't interfear with sport going on and golfers have right of way on courses. We have had to put lots of new signage up all over the boundries with warnings, not that anyone pays much attention.

We have had real problems since lockdown with people wandering across the course, with almost daily altercations with people not obeying the new rules. Someone is going to get Hurt sooner or later tbh. Many still believe the can go and do as they please and get aggressive when challenged. My group in the comp on Saturday had a situation with two middle aged cyclists who cut on the course on the 7th and came right down the fairway. I'd already played and one of my pp hit and just as we looked up these two appeared. Only missed my a few feet, my pp is a mild mannered 68 year old who was really shocked and as they came past asked them to be more careful as they had almost been hit and respect the signs and the course. They both acted very aggressive and swore at him. They even offered him a fight, which tbh is just ridiculous. It was about to turn really nasty, but the 3 ball behind appeared who are young big strong guys who obviously had had dealing with these two before, so thar scared them off.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Our course has wide open playing fields, a nearby park and a path that stretches all the way round the perimeter of the course but people still insist on walking across the course, because “it’s their right”
I'd think that's simply their reply to golfers suggesting that they use the, likely less convenient, path rather than the 'short cut' across the course. It's almost certainly what I'd do - if allowed.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

It is not their right if they are interfering with the playing of the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.