Golf + spa resort or non resort

nyckuk

Visit site
St Mellion has been suggested but any others within 3-4 hrs from Portsmouth closer if possible
It doesn’t have to be a golf resort , just somewhere the men can golf and the ladies can Use a Spa with local pubs would be good
Don’t mind driving a few miles for different courses
Thanks

The Fader

Visit site
Have a look at China Fleet. A stone's throw away from St. Mellion

Golf course is pretty decent but not St. Mellion standard. Spa facilities are however much superior.

Drop the ladies off at China Fleet and the gents can go torture themselves round Mr. Nicklaus's finest!!

YandaB

Visit site
I've been looking for something similar myself, I found this site offering The Oxfordshire and Heythrop Park. Another one in Cheltenham, another at Chipping Norton near Heythrop, Golf Escapes also offers Foxhills, and Golftravelcentre is offering Donnington Valley and Meon Valley. I have no idea how to make a selection, nor on what grounds - golf, spa, cuisine, price etc. Happy to take recommendations from someone who has already done such a thing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been looking for something similar myself, I found this site offering The Oxfordshire and Heythrop Park. Another one in Cheltenham, another at Chipping Norton near Heythrop, Golf Escapes also offers Foxhills, and Golftravelcentre is offering Donnington Valley and Meon Valley. I have no idea how to make a selection, nor on what grounds - golf, spa, cuisine, price etc. Happy to take recommendations from someone who has already done such a thing.

I always found the easiest approach was to find a few options where I would be happy to play golf at and let Mrs fundy choose based on the hotel/spa on site :)

If money is no object then there are clearly some that are far better than others, if looking for value for money it gets far harder imo

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bowood or Castle Combe if you fancy a trip up to Wiltshire. Both great courses but can't offer any advice on the spas

the spa at Bowood was excellent when it first opened, one of the better ones ive taken mrs f too on all accounts, cant comment on it more recently though

personally found the course nice in places and a bit of a slog in others (be careful playing from too far back unless youre long hitting low handicappers)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Woodbury Park or Dartmouth Golf and Country Club. Both in Devon. Don't know how good the spa's are but the golf courses are OK. Personally I prefer Woodbury. Also, both places also have a decent 9 hole course.

nyckuk

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestion and a few to note for the future .
This time as it was more of a girls trip and we were tagging along , so we are renting a house which happens to be 10 minutes from China fleet so ticks both boxes .
Obviously we are going to play China fleet one of the days , any other local courses to recommend with buggy hire
We are going first weekend in October if that makes a difference with buggies.
thanks

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
China Fleet is a nice course, though wasnt in great nick last time I played. Yeah first hole is very meh but some good holes after that and some nice views of the Tamar.

Obviously have St Mellion pretty close, have Stadden Heights just the other side of the river which is okay. Tavistock is an interesting course, you don't get many moorland courses so a bit unique. Otherwise you have Yelverton and Wrangaton nearby which are decent courses nothing amazing but solid. Bigbury and Thurleston are maybe a 40 minute drive away, absolutely cracking views and very enjoyable courses. Dartmouh isn't too far but a lot of country toad driving, Championship is a tough course, with some lovely holes

TBH anything further especially into Cornwall will be quite a slog driving if you are going in the summer with all the grockels towing their caravans.