Golf Range balls... Different to a 'normal' ball?

pjward

Visit site
I don't get to play as much golf out on the course as I'd like, and rely on getting to the driving range in order to play and improve my swing. From lots of practice, I've now got a fair idea of my yardages when I hit the ball cleanly. However when I play out on the course I'm not confident that these yardages will directly translate.

My questions, if any can help, are: 1) Does a range ball travel significantly different to a normal golf ball you'd buy in the pro shop 2) and if so, how should I be adjusting my distances?

Thanks

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes.

Don't use yardages gained via range balls. They are too unpredictable to be accurate. Buy some balls and measure your yardages on your practice ground.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Range balls can vary massively from a 'proper' golf ball as Andy has said, they can be anything from 90% to 60% and because they get hit so many times often you get bug differences between balls out of the same bucket!

I use the range to concentrate on ball striking, working on swing changes etc and don't worry about how far the carry is - a quiet evening on the course when you can hit a few balls without holding anyone up is the best place to get your yardages dialled in. Beware though, it is frowned upon by many because of the damage to the fairway.

Failing that a field or a range attached to a course where you hit your own balls is a better option.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Range golf balls tend to compress more to cut down on the distance they travel. Alot of ranges run with 80% balls. Aswell as that they have been hit a good few hundred (if not thousand) times.
Do not use your on range distances for the course.
Get some cheap balls from sports direct and on a free evening get yourself onto the course. Hit your 7iron and find the average distance you hit that, then +/- 10 yrds for clubs either side (Very rough and ready way but for high handicappers it works a treat)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a real ball in my range basket today and decided to hit driver (as you do) with it, it probably went 30 yards further than the standard range ball.I sometimes use real balls at the range you know the ones you find in a round but would not use yourself,e.g the donnay ones and some topflights,makes for an interesting comparison.Also the markers at my range are miles off as I used google earth to check them.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never trust a range ball. I can stand there and hit one with the driver and it goes really well then hit the next one with the same swing that sets off on the same line and trajectory but ends up 30-40 yards shorter. But you do get the odd decent ball that strays from the 18th at mine onto the range and you get it in your basket, after hitting them you can really see the difference when your driver is still climbing into the air when it reaches the range ball you last hit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got to agree with the others. The only way to really get your yardages is to find a field or practice ground, hit the make of ball you normally play with and take an average measurement using a GPS device

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Range balls play short so the range doesn't have to be so long.

The yardage markers are adjusted, to try to compensate, so for instance the 150 might only be 120.

It is total guess work.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That is a sweeping statement and certainly not true.

It's true on some ranges. New Maldon for example do this. They use lower quality balls and adjust the length's accordingly so you have some idea of how far you've hit the ball.

I would guess that this is the reason that most others are "shorter" too. Makes perfect sense.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
That is a sweeping statement and certainly not true.

It is true for both ranges I frequent. I have lazered the targets, and they are way short. However, the same club I would use on the course roughly goes the distance they say they are away.

In what way is this not true?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your original statement implies that the distance markers at all ranges are altered to suit the balls they are using. That simply isn't true. Perhaps it is at the ranges you use, but not at mine.

pjward

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like the best way to establish yardages is to get out on a practice field and use a GPS device. In the mean time, I'll just assume 80% and see where that gets me on the course when I next play