Golf Random Irritations

Neilds

Assistant Pro
A thin marker such as a small coin is one thing..... Even if it's slightly off your line and you still manage to hit it (which of us always hits it on our intended line?) Turn there's not much harm done. But thick chips? They can and do stop your ball. So you end up having to continually ask them to move it. It's an irritation, that's all. I never said it was the end of the world.
Honestly, how many times in a round do you actually have to ask to have a marker moved? In our fourball, if 1 marker per round gets moved that is all. I can’t believe you have to ask continually- unless people you play with are using dinner plates!!! 😀

Honestly, how many times in a round do you actually have to ask to have a marker moved? In our fourball, if 1 marker per round gets moved that is all. I can’t believe you have to ask continually- unless people you play with are using dinner plates!!! 😀
I had to ask for one to be moved today... then hit it anyway! 🤦‍♂️

Wilson

Head Pro
"It’s going to be a slow one today", it wouldn’t be had you let us through on the 2nd when you stopped to look for balls 60yds off the tee….

sunshine

I don't know why they exist. I thought the whole point of a marker was to remove the obstacle of a ball potentially being struck, and replace it with something flat that a ball could easily roll over with deviating much. You can't roll it over a poker chip, it would hit it and change direction - so it's not fit for purpose.
Next time, just mark the position of your ball with another ball :LOL:. It's similar size to a poker chip.

sunshine

Except if the ball hits a marker no penalties are given out.
Jeez..just move it...I can't remember the last time I had to move a marker...
If it happens that often it's a freak of nature, not normality
True. But Orikoru's point (I think) was that if you have to move the ball marker so that it was out of the way, you might as well just move your ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
True. But Orikoru's point (I think) was that if you have to move the ball marker so that it was out of the way, you might as well just move your ball.
Yeah, exactly. If the marker doesn't allow the ball to roll over it then it's a pointless exercise having it. You might as well just move the ball to get it off the player's line and then move it back. Absolutely no different to replacing it with a marker, and then moving it off the line and then moving it back - except it's one fewer step. :LOL:

Bdill93

Which you can, but how do you know where to return the ball to if something else isnt left there to mark the exact spot?

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
How far are you thinking of moving this ball off my line?
I'd want it 3 or 4 feet off my line at least.....if youre thinking a putter head or two you can think again....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Which you can, but how do you know where to return the ball to if something else isnt left there to mark the exact spot?
Is this a joke? When you move your marker you use your putter head, in line with a static object (i.e. a tree or something in your eyeline) to measure it. So moving the ball you would just use the same process for the same result. 🤷🏻‍♂️

sunshine

I use one. Much easier/quicker to locate your marker
Fair enough if you have to rummage around your handbag for your marker :LOL:. Or have you got massive pockets?

I just have a couple of tees, pitchmark repairer and ball marker in my right hand pocket so quick and easy to find.

sunshine

How far are you thinking of moving this ball off my line?
I'd want it 3 or 4 feet off my line at least.....if youre thinking a putter head or two you can think again....
Isn't this the same as a poker chip marker though? You'd want it a yard off your line. Maybe a club's length.